yog cthulhu help needed

By phantomsurfer, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

trying to make the cthulhu yog mix up working ....

the base I thought

3 x Living Mummy

3 x Twilight gate

3 x Ravager

plus of course

3 x sacrifical offerings

3 x DOA

3 x Unspekable resurrection

3 x A journey to

Cards not allowed

" Descent of Eibon "

truly thank you for every help

Hey there ;)

Can you give me a list of the objective of the deck (in terms of strategy) ?

top 3 all good and usefull, never use resurection as you have to pay for the card tottally you bring back, hence it could be a high cost you could do more with,

never ever use s.offerings i never use a card that can hurt me..why hurt yourself on purpose?

darknight said:

top 3 all good and usefull, never use resurection as you have to pay for the card tottally you bring back, hence it could be a high cost you could do more with,

never ever use s.offerings i never use a card that can hurt me..why hurt yourself on purpose?

Mainly the idea was to built a deck with the weackest factions toghether .....

sacrifical offeings = too cool if you have nasty char that stay away fm combat or if you do not control char at all

unspeakable res= surprise factor allowing to put on char nt just on the operation phase

Mainly the best acts of the deck are splashin mummy to get kicked by someone else or ravager to hit rush decks

Well, i was taking a little peek at some of the cards and I must ask: Is this aiming to be Control, Aggro or mid range?

I can help a bit i think after knowing that

Hi!

I assume you want a LCG-only deck (anyway, I don't agree when you say "Yog is one of the weakest faction" :P ).
I assume that you want to play a control-deck.

My opinion is (I put comments only when I think is useful...exaplain why play DoA is useless :D )

Cthulhu cards:

- DOA
- Sacr offerings
- Ravager from the deep
- called by azathoth: I like the blank effects, and this card helps in confronting rush deck that play Dogs.

Other cards I would try:

- The terror of the tides: cheap and surprise character.
- Bite marks: could work well with Living Mummy in destroying characters with toughness
- cave Mouth: probably bad, but you could try and see if it works.
- Cost reducers for Cthulhu or Bokrug (Lord of the Silver Twilight or Beings of Ib respectively) if you want to
play Ancient One (personally, I don't like this option)
- Julia Brown (Cthulhu) with Julia Brown (neutral) and the Sleepwalker (Yog). I like this combination, and maybe
the possibility to have additional icons/skills during Sotry Phase is useful.
- To stop rush deck, you probably need something else to destroy attachment (like Military Bike), so a creature
(Mature Deep One, Nocturnal Scavenger) or an event (Get it Off)

Yog cards:

- Gathering at the stones: I really like the idea of having a nice way to get back a card from graveyard
- Twilight gate: this card is insane, in my opinion, but obviously it needs something to work good.
- Living mummy: nice control character.
- Journey to the other side
- Dampen Light: to slow down rush deck (to test)
- Idol of the abomination: I like the idea of having a support-character, especially if you take into account
the Living Mummy. (Living Mummy, destroy everything, you still have characters).
- Tcho Tcho tribe / Guardian Elder Thing: good defense characters and you can put them into play using Twilight
Gate.
- A single glimpse

Then, it depends: if you want to play only Cthulhu/Yog, you can choose some cheap characters from both factions
and add Eye of the deep or Scalethorn Asylum to turn them into strongest characters during late game. Or you could
try Spell Bound Shoggoth with Forbidden Shrine. If you can play Neutral Characters, you coudl go for Dogs yourself
or The Setting Sun (against rush decks), or Conspiracy Theorist (and add to your deck a couple of Conspiracies
like Ask Question Later) or Samanta Grace, always to slow down rush decks. Serpent from Yoth is a nice card too,
and you could use Gentleman's Club to late-game drawing.

After all these suggestions, I write what I would like to test in this case:

- Cthulhu: (20)

- 3 Doa
- 3 Sacrificial Offerings
- 3 Ravager from the Deep
- 3 Called by Azathoth
- 2 Julia Brown - Oddly Amphibious
- 3 The terror of the tides
- 3 Mature deep One

- Yog: (25)

- 2 Gathering at the Stones
- 3 Twilight gate
- 3 Living Mummy
- 2 Tcho Tcho tribe
- 2 Guardian Elder Thing
- 3 Journey to the other side
- 2 Idol of the abomination
- 2 The Sleepwalker
- 3 Servant of Nodens
- 3 A single glimpse

- Neutral (5):

- 3 Samantha Grace
- 2 Julia Brown

I think that with this configuration you can have many chances to stop rush deck (9 cheap-characters destroy
effects: DoA, A single glimpse, Sac Offerings + other things) that are your first and big problem, using these
2 factions. After some test, if you see that against others control deck the situation is bad you can change
something, but this would be my starting point. In particular, adding cheap characters (especially Dogs) could

be useful, if you see that you have too few characters at the beginning of the game.

Hope it helps :)

Konx.

Konx said:

I assume you want a LCG-only deck (anyway, I don't agree when you say "Yog is one of the weakest faction" :P ).

Cthulhu is pretty strong, if you can survive long enough.

jhaelen said:

Konx said:

Well, FWIW, I agree: Yog IS the weakest faction.

Cthulhu is pretty strong, if you can survive long enough.

My stats have the following win-loss records:

Agency: 7-11
Miskatonic: 9-10
Cthulhu: 7-11
Syndicate: 9-9
Hastur: 10-9
Yog-Sothoth 11-7
Shub-Niggurath: 11-7

32 games total, 13 games with just Core Set, 19 after that with CS + Ancient Horrors AP (random Neutrals to even the numbers when needed). Yog has nabbed 3 wins via decking out the opponent (Blackmoor Estate), which in Highlander(ish) and very few Support removing cards can work wonders.

Dam said:

Konx said:

My stats have the following win-loss records:

Agency: 7-11
Miskatonic: 9-10
Cthulhu: 7-11
Syndicate: 9-9
Hastur: 10-9
Yog-Sothoth 11-7
Shub-Niggurath: 11-7

32 games total, 13 games with just Core Set, 19 after that with CS + Ancient Horrors AP (random Neutrals to even the numbers when needed). Yog has nabbed 3 wins via decking out the opponent (Blackmoor Estate), which in Highlander(ish) and very few Support removing cards can work wonders.

If I've won games using Yog, I've always attributed it to the strong second faction. I never had the impression it was due to the Yog cards.

this thread makes me wanna try a mono-yog deck and see what happens. ive always thought yog was a great support faction though cause there is without question some great cards for yog.

i never thought yog was that week, as dams report shows as well, im using a yog/shub deck and a hastur/cthulhu,

not for competition, but the yog/shub always comes out on top, or at least is easier to win with. it cant be lcg only deck...isnt doa ccg, doesnt show up white in either deck builder, ?

Well, I've also lost three out of three games vs. a Hastur/Yog deck, once. So, it cannot be THAT bad gui%C3%B1o.gif

Still, given the choice I'd go for other factions. It's probably also a matter of taste/style.

darknight said:

i never thought yog was that week, as dams report shows as well, im using a yog/shub deck and a hastur/cthulhu,

not for competition, but the yog/shub always comes out on top, or at least is easier to win with. it cant be lcg only deck...isnt doa ccg, doesnt show up white in either deck builder, ?

doa is lcg. F56

i also had a yog/shub deck that was great. i had blackmoor in it and was able to win a few games by decking, thats always fun. i made it mono shub now cause shub is my favorite and it seemed wrong not having that deck.

ah i see, it didnt show up that was all on the builder, ill have to get a card for it, my try a cthulhu yog or cthulhu shub, just want to get the big guy out sometimes lol

AshmaDaeva said:

Well, i was taking a little peek at some of the cards and I must ask: Is this aiming to be Control, Aggro or mid range?

I can help a bit i think after knowing that

well at this point i only liked the idea to playin yog cthulhu. At this point of the game and with the amount of cards issued on white fomat i think like it was in early days that i prety difficult t play yog control based deck . My main point is to resist against other friends decks . Actually my deck controls on the very frst rounds but cannot face descendant on wheel sorpresa.gif

Well in the Cthulhu Faction i see some wounding effects, so you could use those to stop the descendant until you build up to the big badasses. I will look into cards more carefully and leave a list for you too comment ok?

phantomsurfer said:

well at this point i only liked the idea to playin yog cthulhu. At this point of the game and with the amount of cards issued on white fomat i think like it was in early days that i prety difficult t play yog control based deck . My main point is to resist against other friends decks . Actually my deck controls on the very frst rounds but cannot face descendant on wheel sorpresa.gif

I wrote a complete post about this deck...any comment? :P

Anyway, a (partial) way to deal with Descendant of Eibon is Snow Grave (Shub support, cost zero, can be played in any deck). At least, if you manage to destroy it, it doesn't come back from the discard pile.

Konx.

AshmaDaeva said:

Well in the Cthulhu Faction i see some wounding effects, so you could use those to stop the descendant until you build up to the big badasses. I will look into cards more carefully and leave a list for you too comment ok?

Actually my deck is the following ( i know snow graves it is cool but my opponent can play multiple copies and mixin 3 factions...uhmmm) Deck

3x AMM F12 Forgotten Shoggoth
3x AMM F13 Reawakened Elder Thing
3x CS F46 Ravager from the Deep
3x CS F56 Deep One Assault
3x CS F59 Sacrificial Offerings
3x CS F104 Living Mummy
3x CS F105 Fishers from Outside
3x CS F106 Cannibal Ghast
3x CS F115 Journey to the Other Side
3x CS F117 A Single Glimpse
3x CS F118 Gathering at the Stones
3x CS F119 Unspeakable Resurrection
3x AHS F33 Unfathomable Elder Thing
3x AAD F52 •The Sleepwalker, Trapped by Nightmare
1x ATT F71 Shadow Sorceress
2x APY F107 •Julia Brown, Oddly Amphibious
2x ATH F7 Beings of Ib
3x ATH F12 Twilight Gate
1x ATH F15 Furtive Zoog

Total 51

And yes it does not work i have only beaten a friend that play a stricly mono shub faction

Heya!

Well....after "mental-testing" both decks (the list you gave me and the list konx gave you) I must say that for now, I wouldn't change anything in konxs list, it is very consistent!

Pick the list up and test it and you will see it. Then say a big "THANKS KONX!!!" because I take my hat off to him me bows.

Sorry not being able to help very much!

Ashma

AshmaDaeva said:

Heya!

Well....after "mental-testing" both decks (the list you gave me and the list konx gave you) I must say that for now, I wouldn't change anything in konxs list, it is very consistent!

Pick the list up and test it and you will see it. Then say a big "THANKS KONX!!!" because I take my hat off to him me bows.

Sorry not being able to help very much!

Ashma

konx played with my deck once in a tourney I know he's a cool gamer gui%C3%B1o.gif but in the end i think that the deck is quite weak at the moment . I think that meta faction like yog will grow up by the time the pool of cards will be more consistent.

My two cents :

Called by azathoth= cool card but if you do not have the target u gt a useless card in yr hand I have tried it before.

Actually my shub/hastur JIm free deck give me the best chances vs H/A but this i another story .......