Quick Advice on Rejoice For You Are True & Rosette

By Baldrick, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

I've got a good gaming group about to start RFYAT. No munchkins, power players etc.. All know each other for years.

Their characters are rank 4, I'm tempted to give them an Inquisitorial Rosette locked in a safety box that requires two players thumb prints to open.

Basically in RFYAT there are occasions where a Rosette will come in handy and improve the roleplay (questioning the mercenaries), there are also lots of places it will **** them (Alabaster Court). The only place they can really go to town with it is (I can tell) is the final encounter. Either way they will be first into the breach on Ambulon...

The Rosette will be removed from their possession at the end of the adventure.

Good or bad idea?

Baldrick said:

I've got a good gaming group about to start RFYAT. No munchkins, power players etc.. All know each other for years.

Their characters are rank 4, I'm tempted to give them an Inquisitorial Rosette locked in a safety box that requires two players thumb prints to open.

Basically in RFYAT there are occasions where a Rosette will come in handy and improve the roleplay (questioning the mercenaries), there are also lots of places it will **** them (Alabaster Court). The only place they can really go to town with it is (I can tell) is the final encounter. Either way they will be first into the breach on Ambulon...

The Rosette will be removed from their possession at the end of the adventure.

Good or bad idea?

How about an Inquisitorial Writ of Authority instead of a full-blown rosette? Gets the same idea across.

I was under the understanding that Rosette's are generally things that're earned and also more permanent, while a writ of authority can go into a paper shredder after use.

An Inquisitorial Writ of Authority sounds perfect. Just need to get a phys rep for it and some wording...

Baldrick said:

An Inquisitorial Writ of Authority sounds perfect. Just need to get a phys rep for it and some wording...

I do what I can.

Mebbe start off with, "By His most holy Inquisition, the Bearer of this document..."
Something something something.

Glad I could be of service.

I actually took some wording from my UK passport!

"HIS BRITANNIC EMPEROR’S INQUISITOR GLOBUS VAARAK REQUESTS AND REQUIRES IN THE NAME OF THE ALMIGHTY EMPEROR ALL THOSE WHOM IT MAY CONCERN TO ALLOW THE BEARER TO PASS FREELY WITHOUT LET OR HINDRANCE AND TO AFFORD THE BEARER SUCH ASSISTANCE AND PROTECTION AS MAY BE NECESSARY WHILST THEY ARE UNDER THE CHARGE OF TO INVESTIGATE THE JOYOUS CHOIR IN THE SCINTILLA SYSTEM AND SURROUNDING AREA.
THIS WRIT IS DATED 0110815.M41 AND WILL LAST UNTIL 0102816.M41 OR UNTIL EXTENDED OR REVOKED

PRAISE BE TO THE GLORIOUS SAVIOUR OF MANKIND THE ALMIGHTY EMPEROR"

Grammar isn't great but I think it gets the message across.

Baldrick said:

"HIS BRITANNIC EMPEROR’S INQUISITOR GLOBUS VAARAK REQUESTS AND REQUIRES IN THE NAME OF THE ALMIGHTY EMPEROR ALL THOSE WHOM IT MAY CONCERN TO ALLOW THE BEARER TO PASS FREELY WITHOUT LET OR HINDRANCE AND TO AFFORD THE BEARER SUCH ASSISTANCE AND PROTECTION AS MAY BE NECESSARY WHILST THEY ARE UNDER THE CHARGE OF TO INVESTIGATE THE JOYOUS CHOIR IN THE SCINTILLA SYSTEM AND SURROUNDING AREA.
THIS WRIT IS DATED 0110815.M41 AND WILL LAST UNTIL 0102816.M41 OR UNTIL EXTENDED OR REVOKED

Who needs grammar when you have power?

Baldrick said:

I like it, but i would the whold investigate the "to investigate the Joyous Choir in the Scintilla System" and replace it with "Whilst this Writ is within its expiration date". No one needs to know what they are investigating.

Recommend replacing "Britannic" with "Holy"

Ditto for striking out the what they are investigating. Something along the lines of:

"The bearer of this writ is a fully sanctioned agent in service of the most Holy Inquisition and acts in proxy with the full authority of Inqisitor ( ) in particular and Ordo ( ) in general. Denial of cooperation with sanctioned Inquisitorial agents is a criminal act and subject to investigation, prosecution and conviction by formal or informal tribunal to include extreme sanction. Compliance is mandatory."

Commentary part 2:

Forgot to mention the Rosette. I personally have no issue with giving them a Rosette in a bio-locked strongbox for use on a particular mission. This is a definate and tangable declaration of their Inquisitor that they are now considered trusted agents (as much as an Inquisitor trusts anyone save the Emperor!).

In my game the prime has a Rosette during most of their missions. This is definately a double-edged sword and the character in question is well aware of both the authority and the dangers that bearing it entail. The team is in service to Inquisitor Astrid Skane of the Ordo Hereticus and likes to reward loyalty and results. Though the details are unknown to the other characters, they all know that their prime bears added burdens on their behalf. I made absolutely sure to less than subtle hints to my players that the agent bearing the Rosette in the name of Inquistor Skane does speak on her behalf, but that same agent also bears responsibility for the team and it's missions. That last bit really smooths out the typical gamer grumbling about in-character authority. Most of them are also smart enough to realize that many of the people that the Inquisition investigate would likely try to kill anyone they found bearing a Rosette if given half a chance, so the prime is literally risking her life for the team by bearing it.

On the team's first mission that involved protecting a psyker I had Inquisitor Skane present the prime with a nice custom bolt pistol and exactly one magazine of bolt-shells. The team's prime is a Cadian Guardsman and the "Oh crap, I just became a Commisar!" reaction was a thing of beauty. The point of mentioning this? If your team has the propper respect and understanding of what granting them the use of a symbol of authority means then by all means make use of it when dramatically appropriate!