The Return of the Sun and Spear

By Guest, in News

GOT51-princes-of-the-sun.jpg

“An old septon once claimed I was living proof of the goodness of the gods. Do you know why that is, Imp?”
“No,” Tyrion admitted warily.
“Why, if the gods were cruel, they would have made me my mother’s firstborn, and Doran her third. I am a bloodthirsty man, you see. And it is me you must contend with now, not my patient, prudent, and gouty brother.”
– The Red Viper of Dorne, A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

Today, we’re happy to present a special guest article by 2009 AGoT World Melee Champion Jonathan Benton. We asked Jonathan to preview some of the cards coming your way in Princes of the Sun, the soon-to-be-released expansion for A Game of Thrones: The Card Game ! Without any further ado...

Unboweed, unbent, unbroken. Since the release of the Core Set, House Martell has been at the periphery of the AGoT LCG. That situation is about to change with the release of the Princes of the Sun , as this vengeful, treacherous House moves to the center of the AGoT metagame. And I, for one, will be very happy.

House Martell brings an interesting mix to the table. They are somewhat similar to the Lannisters in their approach of combining control effects with card advantage, but while House Lannister relies on “kneel” effects to control the board, the Martells use icon manipulation. Another important distinction between the two Houses is that while House Lannister is known for their production of gold, House Martell excels in the production of influence. But the concept that best defines the Martells is the idea of vengeance: doing well against this House is simply asking for punishment.

Shall we take a closer look?

Icon manipulation is highlighted with the Princes of the Sun expansion, and one form of it is embodied in Locked Away, a useful tool for controlling your opponent’s ability to grab power with those heavy hitters like Robert and Eddard. As the Paramour can attest, Martell is a strong House for influence, and this card provides a great deal of flexibility when trying to impose your will upon the challenge phase.

agot-locked-away.png agot-ellaria-sand.png

But if that doesn’t work, Ellaria can certainly slow your opponents down. Oberyn’s paramour will stand alongside her southron peers and cause headaches for all of her renowned opponents, giving the House of the Sun the time they need for their card advantage and vengeance effects to prevail.

Speaking of vengeance effects, nothing is certain when one attacks a cunning viper. An intrigue challenge could have heartbreaking consequences in the form of a House Dayne Reserves army, or worse, a vengeful Darkstar complete with renown. Those two keywords are incredibly useful when paired together, and now the possibility exists that Darkstar will enter play not only free of cost, but also as a normally negative effect (intrigue claim) turned into a wonderfully positive one.

agot-house-dayne-reserves.png agot-darkstar.png

Uncertainty is a theme with the new Martell expansion, because intrigue challenges are not the only challenges opponents are going to have to stress over with the addition of the new House Martell event Red Vengeance. Suddenly, two claim doesn’t look so troubling. And if you needed another reason to run influence besides Locked in the Tower, Red Vengeance looks like a good choice. For Melee players, Red Vengeance can be particularly devious as well.

agot-red-vengeance.png

As for characters, Martell will make its way into the LCG with a number of fan favorites. Oakhearts and Ullers and Sand Snakes will take their places alongside disgraced knights and former champions. The might of House Dayne will take the field of battle en masse, bringing with them a host of tricks both old and new.

With the Princes of the Sun expansion, Martell seeks vengeance for all their slights. Be wary of treacherous serpents who would seem to allow you to “win” the battle. They may just have a bloodthirsty trick up their sleeve that lets them win the war.

Based on George R.R. Martin's bestselling fantasy epic, A Song of Ice and Fire, A Game of Thrones: The Card Game brings the beloved heroes, villains, locations, and events of the world of Westeros to life through innovative game mechanics and the highly strategic game play. The Living Card Game format allows players to customize their gaming experience with monthly Chapter Pack expansions to the core game.