After Frostmarch?

By rapatpamp, in Talisman

So I may as well get it started.

Im new to talisman (nothing before 4th) and have heard about the city , cave , and mountains expansions.

What do you think will be made next? (also a brief descripition of the exp would be nice) aplauso.gif

rapatpamp said:

So I may as well get it started.

Im new to talisman (nothing before 4th) and have heard about the city , cave , and mountains expansions.

What do you think will be made next? (also a brief descripition of the exp would be nice) aplauso.gif

The next one will probably be a region board.

Three left:

Forest

Mountains

City

I hope that the Mountains is the next one. Because snow exist there, and by that time, we have the Frostmarch expansion too already.

But forest is also good for me gran_risa.gif I can't wait to see the artwork from that board

Velhart said:

But forest is also good for me gran_risa.gif

I could say, everything, besides TS, is good for You lengua.gif

Cave was endemic to Poland and polish translation of Talisman 2nd ed., and for me it seemed kind of ... broken. I can't put my finger on it. Some people enjoyed it though. I don't see it being released as an expansion.

I never played 3rd edition which sported corner boards so I know little about Mountains and Forest, but from what I've red online it seems that they were just bundled with Dungeon and City expansions respectively. If so, I hope FFG will re-work them heavily before release or we'll get just another 32 spaces of the Outer Region. They did a good job with the Dungeon so there is still hope

City, as I remember it, was quite boring. People went there to visit blacksmith and buy Heavy Armor and Two-handed Sword. that was it. Hopefuly it will be made more interesting to visit in this edition.

And then there is Timescape . I know there is half a dozen threads about it but since I'm replaying to this one, might as well rant on .

Many people hate it for being SF rather then fantasy themed. OK, fair enough. For me it was always an integral part of Talisman universe. Mayby because I was introduced to it with all other expansions at once or maybe because Talisman was one of my first contacts with fantasy and SF whatsoever, but it's as normal as a nose on my face. It's awkward, it sticks out but it's a part of the whole.

I do understand concerns of anti-SF people however and there is one pretty simple and elegant solution to this problem. D&D universe has something called Planescape. It's a place where you can cross into the different planes of existence. In the Timescape you were tossed around between different planets. Just change it to different, appropriately fantasy-like, realities and you have the same great adventure, just without aliens, chainswords and spacesuits. Everybodys happy (hopefuly). I, personally, would miss chainsword and powerarmor...

OK, enough ranting for today. So what's next? My bet is on the City. Why? Because apart from Dungeon it is the only well known board from 2nd and 3rd edition. With some work it might be an interesting place to visit at last.

Implementing a functional City expansion will be the final crucible for FFGs treatment of the Talisman franchise, IMO. Neither the second nor the third edition's City has been all it could have been, and veteran players are going to be apprehensive about a new version, I'm sure. All the more reason to deliver, of course, so I hope and believe that the City expansion will be the next one. And I severely hope that it will live up to the most optimistic players' epectations. Releasing a well implemented, enjoyable City expansion will cement the FFG version of Talisman as the, dare I say, correct one. So far, FFG has done almost everything right, but a poor City expansion could ruin it all, I'm afraid.

Felis said:

Cave was endemic to Poland and polish translation of Talisman 2nd ed., and for me it seemed kind of ... broken. I can't put my finger on it. Some people enjoyed it though. I don't see it being released as an expansion.

Cave for sure won't be released. It's controversial, how it is related to GW. From one side it is, because it's expansion to MiM, so Talisman, but from other side it isn't, because it is only in Polish language. Personally, I only would like to see Cave's additional Dungeon, Adventure and Spell cards. Eventually these broken Characters - finally Sage could not be the best Character in game.

Felis said:

City, as I remember it, was quite boring. People went there to visit blacksmith and buy Heavy Armor and Two-handed Sword. that was it. Hopefuly it will be made more interesting to visit in this edition.

I and my players visit it only for sake of becoming Archmage. Later it was commonly ignored, nah, we even played later is space instruction on main board.

Felis said:

I, personally, would miss chainsword and powerarmor...

And Anti–Grav Platform, Battle Armour, Chameleon Suit, Medi–Kit, Omnipotent Being or Symbiote and Warp Belt...

Nemomon said:

And Anti–Grav Platform, Battle Armour, Chameleon Suit, Medi–Kit, Omnipotent Being or Symbiote and Warp Belt...

And Star Sprites! Yay for Star Sprites! gran_risa.gif

I would say City board. There seems to be a few issues with players gathering too much gold and having nothing to spend it on. The city expansion should provide a good outlet for gold to be spent.

Also, there are items in the purchase deck that can't even be purchased on a space on the board, only through market or market day. Spaces in the city to purchase these items would be handy.

In the last few expansions, adventure cards, characters, spells have all had new material but not one new purchase item. City board in the past has offered two-handed sword, great axe, full-plate armor etc and it would be nice to see these.

It would be nice to see more different purchase cards cool.gif

Velhart said:

It would be nice to see more different purchase cards cool.gif

Agreed.

What's the point of more Purchase cards if you can't buy them anywhere? serio.gif

That's what Shadow345 was talking about. New place to buy stuff AND more stuff to buy.

If done right it could work as an effective "gold sink", as they call it in rpg and mmo computer games. Right now there's not much use for gold except tempting the fate :)

Hopefuly FFG team will come up with more places to spend your gold than just Stables and Blacksmith.

I made a Follower the other day that allows you to use Gold as Fate until you run out of Gold (then you must discard the Follower). Such cards could make Gold a bit more useful. Still, a place to buy new Purchase cards would be much better - a rare Place card, maybe in the Dungeon, which sells esoteric items would be very cool... Time to design a card again, I feel! gran_risa.gif

JCHendee said:

What's the point of more Purchase cards if you can't buy them anywhere? serio.gif

There is hope, that the City expansion will add a lot of different purchase cards to the game.

And FFG can also make a expansion that's based on adventure cards where you can buy special stuff, ( with adding new purchase cards too !

Then they don't have to changed the board, and we have what we want cool.gif

Okay, that's semi-valid. But we've already heard complaints about certain standard objects that can only be bought when a certain card pops up... such as Market or Market Day. Adding further Adventure cards where new Purchase cards can be acquired defiinitely won't solve the problem. As our Adventure decks grow, the probability of such cards coming up in any game shrinks further and further, making such cards coming up (and the possibility of purchasing a Mule, per se, right now) becomes less and less likely.

Overall, the only way to make purchase cards, standard and new, more available is to patch the play area and not by more Place cards in the Adventure deck. And the most likely commercial way to do this is the City expansion, hopefully with some alterations... because next to Timescape, by all comments I've heard, it was the least played compared to others we hope for as well. Fingers crossed though.

The other factor weighing against this ever happening is the current push for speed of play and putting more items, such as Treasure cards, into players hands. With that going on, more Purchase cards would likely be ignored by more players. In the end, this would weigh against the success of the City board, altered or not, being re-released any time soon. Unless it too was used to dump more powerful artifacts into players hands, and again, new Purchase cards would be pointless to produce, or would be ignored by players in favor potent toys more easily acquired.

Honestly, the reissue of the City board is a very tangled proposition, given both its history and the pattern of new game focus found in current expansions. Maybe you should just run over to Talisman Island and look around for what you want instead of waiting for it.

JCHendee said:

Okay, that's semi-valid. But we've already heard complaints about certain standard objects that can only be bought when a certain card pops up... such as Market or Market Day. Adding further Adventure cards where new Purchase cards can be acquired defiinitely won't solve the problem. As our Adventure decks grow, the probability of such cards coming up in any game shrinks further and further, making such cards coming up (and the possibility of purchasing a Mule, per se, right now) becomes less and less likely.

Overall, the only way to make purchase cards, standard and new, more available is to patch the play area and not by more Place cards in the Adventure deck. And the most likely commercial way to do this is the City expansion, hopefully with some alterations... because next to Timescape, by all comments I've heard, it was the least played compared to others we hope for as well. Fingers crossed though.

The other factor weighing against this ever happening is the current push for speed of play and putting more items, such as Treasure cards, into players hands. With that going on, more Purchase cards would likely be ignored by more players. In the end, this would weigh against the success of the City board, altered or not, being re-released any time soon. Unless it too was used to dump more powerful artifacts into players hands, and again, new Purchase cards would be pointless to produce, or would be ignored by players in favor potent toys more easily acquired.

Honestly, the reissue of the City board is a very tangled proposition, given both its history and the pattern of new game focus found in current expansions. Maybe you should just run over to Talisman Island and look around for what you want instead of waiting for it.

I think if FFG makes adventure cards, where you can buy special purchase cards, they only need to make a lot of those cards, so you can draw a lot of them from the adventure deck.

If we are talking about 10 cards etc, then it's no point to add them to the game...

Yeah, i think that FFG will have a difficult time with the City, because they must add a lot to that board.

I have never like the City. because it's a very boring place...

Luckily, if you don;t play with the ( treasure variant) then people will only getting treasure cards if they are strong enough to defeat the lords.

Before that, i think it is worth to buy new purchase cards in the city, so that you can spent your gold for something..(usefull..)

The original City did have some good shops, but you are right that otherwise it was pretty boring place filled with some bits of nonsense. I don't think adding a bunch of "buy it here" cards would go over well with most players. It would fill too many spaces on the board, eliminating a percentage of places where you could draw Enemies... or free stuff. It might be okay if there was also some cards that eliminated places, but then that makes those purchase locations undependable. If a think a reworked City is the only hope for Purchases in the long run, the really reworked to make it better.

JCHendee said:

The original City did have some good shops, but you are right that otherwise it was pretty boring place filled with some bits of nonsense. I don't think adding a bunch of "buy it here" cards would go over well with most players. It would fill too many spaces on the board, eliminating a percentage of places where you could draw Enemies... or free stuff. It might be okay if there was also some cards that eliminated places, but then that makes those purchase locations undependable. If a think a reworked City is the only hope for Purchases in the long run, the really reworked to make it better.

Yeah, i think you are right..

It was just a idea, and filling spaces with place cards where you can buy something, is not really handy..

If you want to spent gold, then the City is the best place for that.

Maybe that the people here on the forum, must talk again in the city expansion topic, and share some ideas.

Maybe that FFG will look at it, and will think about it,what the fans want..

Because Frostmarch brings already too many easy cards to the game, instead of dangerous(bad cards), let's say we skip the big box debate for now, and focus on the mainboard.

From my point of view, if the next small expansion must fix the problems from Frostmarch, this is what i want somehow for the mainboard.

-20 events must be added ( most of them must do bad things to the player)

- 28 enemies ( 19 strong) (7 weak) to fix some balance

-6 places

-6 strangers

-15 followers

-7 objects/magic objects

total 82 cards

( there is still room for cards, if the expansion may contain 90 cards total)

This would be a beginning of a real adventure ( less weak enemies, less objects, and more events and some followers( due to frostmarch)

Velhart said:

Because Frostmarch brings already too many easy cards to the game, instead of dangerous(bad cards), let's say we skip the big box debate for now, and focus on the mainboard.

From my point of view, if the next small expansion must fix the problems from Frostmarch, this is what i want somehow for the mainboard.

-6 places

-6 strangers

-15 followers

-7 objects/magic objects

total 82 cards

This would be a beginning of a real adventure ( less weak enemies, less objects, and more events and some followers( due to frostmarch)

Hi Velhart

I do agree that we need more challenge in the deck, but don't forget that the trend with almost each expansion is to have around 10% of the total cards to be "gold bags" so unless you count your 7 objects as "gold bags" your expansion deck will likely be more than 90 cards.

I do think the way to solve this is through "homebrew cards" to rebalance the deck the way you may want it. Some very nice cards are available from the homebrew section and from talismanisland. I am just wondering what FFG think of all the homebrew expansion and if this is taken into account when cards are selected for commercial released, I mean, if a card with a great idea is release in the homebrew, is it automatically not considered for commercial release by FFG or is it used for brainstorming and ideas?

Sorry, this is probably better discussed in another topic but this is still bugging me as I am wondering if we did not miss on some great coomercial cards because the idea was used in the homebrew section? .

Cheers

I think V has a point if we are considering the balance of the deck as based on the starting deck. That would be my assumption, but maybe the lean on expansions has a different target balance it is trying to achieve. Overall, I don't like how easy the game has become... or rather how overgunned it is for the characters. But that's that, as I'm probably in the minority. And I think most of us are waiting to see what the next expansions board will be.

I don't think FFG really gives any thought to home brew cards in what they will release themselves. Let's face facts: home brew stuff is only used by a sharp minority of players' groups. Most are into the commercial releases only. Far less will mix home brews with commercial expansions. And very very few will use the base game with only home brew expansions. I and my group play with a lot of home brew stuff, and yet between us, we own at least one copy of each expansion so far.

I think it is unlikely (or should be) that Talisman's future development is or will be affected by fan creations. Let's hope not, as that's really not a worthwhile perspective for them. It makes no business sense considering the (much) wider consumer base their own creations reach.

I have play a talisman game today, and it was my Warlock vs the Warrior.

It was the first game with the Frostmarch expansion.

With the Warlock , i have stay the whole game in the middle region, and somewhat later in the game, the Warlock was down to 1 life. Luckily, i could pay my lives back at the castle, with luck.

The warrior was never down to 1 life, and it was easy for him to survive.

it's funny that i talk about, that i want to increase the dangerous factor, but i was close to death with the warlock !

But on top of that..., from all enemies that we have encountered ( 41) only 10 of them where strong !

We drew lot's of bag of golds and the other player has use the orb of knowledge to discard the gold, to draw another card, because he has already plenty of them..

I have ended the game with 6 gold ! gran_risa.gif i wish i could spent it in a city expansion somehow gui%C3%B1o.gif

I see i made a mistake about my previous post with the enemies ( should be 20 strong, and 8 weak)

Still... i wish for more event cards, more stronger enemies, and less objects..( we will see how it goes in the future..

Basilisk has a pretty good track record so far, I think it's killed a char each time it has come out, just seems to get doubles quite a bit.

Dam said:

Basilisk has a pretty good track record so far, I think it's killed a char each time it has come out, just seems to get doubles quite a bit.

Today, i saw a Basilisk crawling in the oasis. ( he needs a drink?)

His stare did not effect me, (warlock) and i could not help it, to kill that beast, before he is doing something nasty to me gran_risa.gif

Old Master said:

Velhart said:

-6 places

-6 strangers

-15 followers

-7 objects/magic objects

total 82 cards

Hi Velhart

I do agree that we need more challenge in the deck, but don't forget that the trend with almost each expansion is to have around 10% of the total cards to be "gold bags" so unless you count your 7 objects as "gold bags" your expansion deck will likely be more than 90 cards.

We receive already a lot of gold with the frostmarch expansion.

I really wonder if FFG will decrease the objects/magic objects. ( reaper has 24 objects/magic) Frostmarch 28 objects/magic.

It's so easy to find objects/magic objects these days lengua.gif

I am afraid that they go on like this, without raising up the difficulty sad.gif

I think that Talisman is more than only drawing enemy's and goodies..