walking stick weapon = staff?

By Moneseki, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

just starting a game here, and one of the heroes got skill giving knockbackability when attacking with staff. My question is if the shopweapon "walking stick"(melee weapon) is a staff?

To us it pretty much seems to be a staff, yet it doesnt have the staff name in it. Any opinions?

It's not a staff. The staves are the non-rune magic weapons that say "Staff" on them.

Moneseki said:

just starting a game here, and one of the heroes got skill giving knockbackability when attacking with staff. My question is if the shopweapon "walking stick"(melee weapon) is a staff?

To us it pretty much seems to be a staff, yet it doesnt have the staff name in it. Any opinions?

Moneseki said:

To the best of my rules knowledge, it is not a staff.

very sad, since I`m leading the heroes now... :(

Thanks, we take it as a weapon, not a staff

Not a staff. Nothing wrong with calling it one as a house rule though, given how otherwise poor both Water Pact and Fire Pact currently are. (by our house rules, see signature, Water Pact also works for Reach weapons and Fire Pact for Bows)

I personally expect that the evolution of the ridiculous "Walking Stick" was that it started as a "Quarter-staff", then somewhere during production they realised they needed to change the name to prevent it being considered a Staff. "Walking Stick" was chosen, still envisaging some kind of hefty pole, but nobody explained this to the bemused artist who gave us the cane we have today that is more deadly than a sword in the hands of the dandy, Steelhorns.

inle_badger said:

I personally expect that the evolution of the ridiculous "Walking Stick" was that it started as a "Quarter-staff", then somewhere during production they realised they needed to change the name to prevent it being considered a Staff. "Walking Stick" was chosen, still envisaging some kind of hefty pole, but nobody explained this to the bemused artist who gave us the cane we have today that is more deadly than a sword in the hands of the dandy, Steelhorns.

I don't see any reason why you would think production of this item began as a quarterstaff. Quarterstaves may have historically been used as support for the unsteady of foot, but that doesn't mean shorter walking sticks were never used. Nor do I think one more staff would've broken the game, so I don't see why they'd have an urgent need to change the name of a Quarterstaff item if that's what they had started out to make. The item is called a walking stick because it's a walking stick. Coming up to waist height probably, definitely not a staff in my opinion. Is there some reason you feel the weapon was - at any point during production - intended to be a staff, aside from the fact that staves have occasionally doubled as walking sticks?

My guess is because Quarterstaffs are a generic fantasy weapon staple?

I would assume the reasoning is that Reach makes more sense on an especially long weapon than on a shorter one.