20 questions

By Levyten, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

3 days ago i got my copy of RT, so now there are are about 20 question we gathered in that shor amount of time. Maybe its because we are used to the very precise rules of Magic the Gathering...I hope that you guys have some answers for :

“Bugs“ in RT:

1. Where is the swift attack skill in the missionaries carreer path?
2. Where is the Hunting rifle? What stats does it have?
3. Mutation Table on page 369 has two results for the number 71
4.In the origin path the section “Tainted“-Mutant allows you to choose a mutation that has to be lower than 76. but that doenst make that much sense since the Necrophage starts at 75... maybe its an after-effect from point 3.

“general questions and things that just look odd“

5.Does the senechal really start with a 2d10+8 pen:13 inferno pistol??? looks odd to me
6.The origin path section Criminal(Judged and found waiting)(p26) allows you to pick an Implant or bionic of poor quality. But it does not say anything about the availability of the implant...so could I choose a beleful eye???
7.Exactly witch 2 cybernetics may a explorator with? It says 2 bionics. Does this also include the bionic heart? Or is it just limited to the limbs and the respirator system?
8.Does the respirator system also add 2Toughness to the body as the bionic limbs add to their hit zone?
9.Does a good bionic Arm add +1 to meele dmg? Since it adds +10 to strength tests but not exactly +1 to Str Bonus?
10.Are all the skills listed as “starting Skills” “trained”(the second box in the char sheet)?
11.Being able to choose a mutation in “Tainted”-mutant seems quite “overpowered” to me.
12.Can I use a shield(in my left hand) to parry melee attacks when I am wielding a whip(right hand)? Do I parry with WS+15 or do I get a disadvantage from using the shield with my off hand?
13.If I have the Quick draw talent, can I use it to draw the shield and whip as a free action?
14.If I have the Quick draw talent, can I use it to stow away the shield and whip and draw 2 pistols as free action?
15.May a character always choose if he wants to dodge or to parry a meele attack?
16.Doest unnatural agility affect the dodge skill? Its easily possible to gain more than 100agility that way...or does it only affect everything that just needs the agility bonus? In that case a a augmented(unnatural strx2) mutated(unnatural strx3) colonist(str30) with a str bonus of 9 would still suck at intimidating? Because it doest not affect the total str value?
17.Is a power axe a 2hand weapon? If not, could I use a shield and so “ignore” the unbalanced special of the axe??
18.Why does the navigator start with a emperors tarot? You have to be a psiker to be able to read it...even if the navigator in the cover of RT has a tarot in his hands...looks odd
19.It was mentioned that you could bombard a planet if you like that kind of stuff...I have not found any rules for that :(
20.Do you think its bad that the Astropath has only one choice in the origin path?

I’ll answer what I can without my book.

6. The origin path section Criminal(Judged and found waiting)(p26) allows you to pick an Implant or bionic of poor quality. But it does not say anything about the availability of the implant...so could I choose a beleful eye???

If it is an implant or a bionic on the list and the GM says yes then yes they can have a poor quality one. Just be aware of what a poor quality implant does.

10.Are all the skills listed as “starting Skills” “trained”(the second box in the char sheet)?

Unless they say “ as Basic”

11. Being able to choose a mutation in “Tainted”-mutant seems quite “overpowered” to me.

As with all things, “with GM’s approval” is implied.

12. Can I use a shield(in my left hand) to parry melee attacks when I am wielding a whip(right hand)? Do I parry with WS+15 or do I get a disadvantage from using the shield with my off hand?

Yes. Without the Ambidextrous talent I would impose the off hand penalty offset by the +15.

13. If I have the Quick draw talent, can I use it to draw the shield and whip as a free action?

Yes, as long as the items are accessible and not “stowed away.”

14. If I have the Quick draw talent, can I use it to stow away the shield and whip and draw 2 pistols as free action?

No. I would allow a player to the whip and shield and draw though.

15. May a character always choose if he wants to dodge or to parry a meele attack?

Yes. But parry only works if you have a weapon that you can parry with.

16. Doest unnatural agility affect the dodge skill? Its easily possible to gain more than 100agility that way...or does it only affect everything that just needs the agility bonus? In that case a a augmented(unnatural strx2) mutated(unnatural strx3) colonist(str30) with a str bonus of 9 would still suck at intimidating? Because it doest not affect the total str value?

Yes. Unnatural agility affects everything except movement speed. No an Unnatural Str of ([9]30) would have a very easy time intimidating people by breaking things and throwing things around.

17. Is a power axe a 2hand weapon? If not, could I use a shield and so “ignore” the unbalanced special of the axe??

Melee weapons are 1 handed unless they state otherwise in their description and you would be able to parry with the shield.

18. Why does the navigator start with a emperors tarot? You have to be a psiker to be able to read it...even if the navigator in the cover of RT has a tarot in his hands...looks odd

Trade(Soothsayer) allows you to make a living using the Emperors Tarot. In game terms Navigators are considered to be Psykers.

19. It was mentioned that you could bombard a planet if you like that kind of stuff...I have not found any rules for that :(

FFG have said that they are planning on releasing more starship info including what had to be cut from the RT Core book at a later date. For now, if your players find it necessary, make a few hard BS tests and give the results in a narrative form.

20. Do you think its bad that the Astropath has only one choice in the origin path?

Astropaths are a very specialized career choice. I don’t have an issue with that aspect of the Origin Path. Remember, If you feel your players can justify and play it, you can allow them a free choice on one row or to not use the Origin Path chart at all.

12.Can I use a shield(in my left hand) to parry melee attacks when I am wielding a whip(right hand)? Do I parry with WS+15 or do I get a disadvantage from using the shield with my off hand?

Yes. Without the Ambidextrous talent I would impose the off hand penalty offset by the +15.

You'd be wrong to do so - parrying is explicitly exempt from off-hand penalties and doesn't count as two-weapon fighting either. Sword&Board wouldn't make much sense otherwise, since parrying with a sword is only five points worse than the shield in optimum circumstances.

Levyten said:

3 days ago i got my copy of RT, so now there are are about 20 question we gathered in that shor amount of time. Maybe its because we are used to the very precise rules of Magic the Gathering...I hope that you guys have some answers for :

“Bugs“ in RT:

1. Where is the swift attack skill in the missionaries carreer path?
2. Where is the Hunting rifle? What stats does it have?
3. Mutation Table on page 369 has two results for the number 71
4.In the origin path the section “Tainted“-Mutant allows you to choose a mutation that has to be lower than 76. but that doenst make that much sense since the Necrophage starts at 75... maybe its an after-effect from point 3.

“general questions and things that just look odd“

5.Does the senechal really start with a 2d10+8 pen:13 inferno pistol??? looks odd to me
6.The origin path section Criminal(Judged and found waiting)(p26) allows you to pick an Implant or bionic of poor quality. But it does not say anything about the availability of the implant...so could I choose a beleful eye???
7.Exactly witch 2 cybernetics may a explorator with? It says 2 bionics. Does this also include the bionic heart? Or is it just limited to the limbs and the respirator system?
8.Does the respirator system also add 2Toughness to the body as the bionic limbs add to their hit zone?
9.Does a good bionic Arm add +1 to meele dmg? Since it adds +10 to strength tests but not exactly +1 to Str Bonus?
11.Being able to choose a mutation in “Tainted”-mutant seems quite “overpowered” to me.
13.If I have the Quick draw talent, can I use it to draw the shield and whip as a free action?
14.If I have the Quick draw talent, can I use it to stow away the shield and whip and draw 2 pistols as free action?
15.May a character always choose if he wants to dodge or to parry a meele attack?
16.Doest unnatural agility affect the dodge skill? Its easily possible to gain more than 100agility that way...or does it only affect everything that just needs the agility bonus? In that case a a augmented(unnatural strx2) mutated(unnatural strx3) colonist(str30) with a str bonus of 9 would still suck at intimidating? Because it doest not affect the total str value?
17.Is a power axe a 2hand weapon? If not, could I use a shield and so “ignore” the unbalanced special of the axe??
18.Why does the navigator start with a emperors tarot? You have to be a psiker to be able to read it...even if the navigator in the cover of RT has a tarot in his hands...looks odd
19.It was mentioned that you could bombard a planet if you like that kind of stuff...I have not found any rules for that :(
20.Do you think its bad that the Astropath has only one choice in the origin path?

1: it is a mistake it isn't there. The GM can put it in where he/she wants it.

2. they forgot to put it in, it is in the Dark Heresy rulebook if you owe that.

3. it is supposed to say 68-70 Ravaged Body, 71-74 Clawed/Fanged.

4. it is supposed to say "Below 75"

5. Why is that odd? the Inferno Pistol has only a clip of 3 and a range of 10 even though it is a powefull weapon both a Plasma- and Hell Pistol are better in most circumstances,

6. As GM I would say that you were only allowed to chose Implants/Bionics of Rare or lower rarity, that is a disiscion of the GM to make, but in RAW yes you could do that.

7. Again as in 6 the GM would have to decide, But in RAW I would say yes all with the name "Bionic" in it.

8. No. the rules say "Bionic replacement limbs.......add 2 to the owner's Toughness Bonus...."

9. Yes +10 Strength Increases you SB by 1

10. as ItsUncertainWho said.

11. Why?, okay you can get something pretty good, but you still pay 200 xp for it and Mutants do have certain ...problems in the 40k univers.

12. as said you can parry with a weapon (or shield) in your off-hand without penalty for it.

13. No the rules say "a weapon", which I intepret as one weapon not more, of couse if you interpret it differently or chose so then yes.

14. as 13

15. Yes, if he has a weapon with which to parry

16. No, an unnatural characteristic only increases you bonus, unless you do an opposed test. in the Dark Heresy book Inquisitor's Handbook there was paragraph that said that for each decree if unnatural you had the diffuculty of all tests with that characteristic decrease by one so with Unnatural Agility (x2) a standard Dodge Test would be Ordinary (+10), with Unnatural Agility (x3) it would be Routine (+20) and so on. in the same way if you play with that rule the Augmented Mutant Colonist would get a +20 to his intimidate test.

17. not unless it says so, so yes you would be able to do that.

18. As said before.

19. As said before.

20. Agreed to what ItsUncertainWho said.

Personally I being a mutant is more trouble than it's worth. Sure you can get some stat boosts but at the cost of being a social outcast (best case) every where you go. You are risking being torn apart by a mob every imperial world or station you visit. Then there is trouble with the church and the =][=. Major subtractions for the yourself and the group as a whole socially.

Personally I being a mutant is worth it :)

Thanks for the answering of all those questions!

21 Does the "bionics Locomotion" augmentation count as One implant? Do I get 2 Legs for one Implant or do i have to buy it twice? Do I also gain spinter trait with only 1 bionic leg?

22 Why is a groxwhipp with the mono upgrade stronger than a chainsword? ;)

23 Why are there no power/chain "great weapons", like a two handed power axe? ;)

Levyten said:

Thanks for the answering of all those questions!

21 Does the "bionics Locomotion" augmentation count as One implant? Do I get 2 Legs for one Implant or do i have to buy it twice? Do I also gain spinter trait with only 1 bionic leg?

23 Why are there no power/chain "great weapons", like a two handed power axe? ;)

21. I would think that you would have to buy them individually, yes one would give sprint if it is good quality

22. Don't know, Didn't make the book, likely just a case of the fact that they can't compare all the weapons to each others and balance all of them.

23. Omnissian Axe? also you could easily make one yourself, 2d10+(4/5/6/7 depending on the weapon) E Pen: 5/6/7, Powerfield (Unbalanced?)

23. Space limitations, probably. There were some examples in the Inquisitor's Handbook for DH.

I'd assume "locomotion" to be just that: A system which is capable of moving you from A to B. A single leg doesn't do that - a pair of legs does, as would a tracked or wheeled system or (my personal favorite) an arachnid-like one with four or six legs.

Did you ever play Shadowrun or Cyberpunk or watch Johnny Mnemonic? Monomolecular whips are... unpleasant.

The chain Great Weapon exists - it's called Eviscerator and was introduced in the Inquisitor's Handbook (and then modified by Errata). As for the power great axe - yep, that's the domain of the AdMech.

Levyten said:

A freudian slip. As a GM I'd love a player to be a mutie;-) Strangely none of my regular players want to, and have even convinced the newbies not to....

Frankly, I'm a little baffled by some of these question ... why aren't there great power weapons? Why aren't there rules for pikes, tower shields, or Sentinel Powerlifters? There's only so much space in a book (Especially one like Rogue Trader), that something isn't there doesn't indicate a fault in the game.

As for 22, well, you can't parry with a Groxwhip for a start. And it does only do one point more damage - hardly a glaring oddity.

Most of the rest of your questions can kind of be answered with - GM's ruling. Seriously, it's a pen and paper RPG, it doesn't need watertight ruling so long as the GM is even handed in his rulings

some new questions :)

24: Does the size of an opponent only matter in ranged combat and in grapple actions? so its still challanging to hit a titan with your axe ;) ?

25: can you fire a pistol in full auto mode in a meele?

26: a fluff question: Does a Sunser Laser battarie use some kind of amuniton? Do they have anything that could be used to bambard a planet ? ;)

27:what stats does a npc voidcraft use to do actions e.g. (fire its weapons)? the crew stat (30)?

Levyten said:

some new questions :)

24: Does the size of an opponent only matter in ranged combat and in grapple actions? so its still challanging to hit a titan with your axe ;) ?

The entry on the Size trait doesn't specify melee or ranged combat, so I'd say it does.

25: can you fire a pistol in full auto mode in a meele?

I can't find anything saying you can't.

26: a fluff question: Does a Sunser Laser battarie use some kind of amuniton? Do they have anything that could be used to bambard a planet ? ;)

Your ship is assumed to have enough ammunition for whatever fights you might get into.

27:what stats does a npc voidcraft use to do actions e.g. (fire its weapons)? the crew stat (30)?

Either the generic crew stat, or the stats of whatever the actual officers in charge might be, if you're giving the Captain or gunners or whatever full stat blocks.

I believe you can only fire single shots in melee with a pistol, not semi or full auto.

MILLANDSON said:

I believe you can only fire single shots in melee with a pistol, not semi or full auto.

Depends upon the pistol. if the pistol's ROF isn't S/-/-, then yes, it can fire autofire.

Laser batteries are traditionally said to run directly off the energy generated by the plasma reactor. Titans use the same principle with thier Turbo-Lasers. The fuel for the reactor will be a form of hydrogen - given the immensity of the energy it could produce it's more likely a ship will run out of oxygen before the reactor dies.

Or, as a short answer, no they don't.

All shipboard weapons designed to blast other ships could feasibly be used for bombardment, albeit in a slightly makeshift "Blast the city for an hour and see what happens" kind of way. Generally, the reason that orbital bombardment is only really used for flattening metropolises is because you simply can't reliably target anything smaller with any degree of precision

Generally battery weapon are not usable for planetary bombardment. They aren't accurate weapons like a lance. They aren't good at punching through a planet's atmosphere. Macro shells will burn up. Plasma will break up, and cool before it hits the ground. Lasers will be deflected entering the atmosphere, tend to lose coherence and be greatly weakened by water vapor and dust the air. Now that's not to say you couldn't stock macro-cannon shells intended for atmosphere, or adjust your lasers. Then shoot, correct your aim, shoot... You couldn't do an accurate shot like that.

PS-Generally in 40k you use a lance strike when you want to hit something on a planet.

Dalnor Surloc said:

Generally battery weapon are not usable for planetary bombardment. They aren't accurate weapons like a lance. They aren't good at punching through a planet's atmosphere. Macro shells will burn up. Plasma will break up, and cool before it hits the ground. Lasers will be deflected entering the atmosphere, tend to lose coherence and be greatly weakened by water vapor and dust the air. Now that's not to say you couldn't stock macro-cannon shells intended for atmosphere, or adjust your lasers. Then shoot, correct your aim, shoot... You couldn't do an accurate shot like that.

Um...

If this process works for artillery - including waterborne naval gunnery - then why not for batteries mounted on orbiting spacecraft?

I have to disagree. 40K rules are a poor way to extrapolate what weapons are suitable for bombardment. For a start, the rules represent a tight, highly dangerous bombardment. Secondly, the weapons covered by those rules are heavily nerfed for the sake of balance.

Several times in Battlefleet Gothic (Including planetary assault scenarios) you can find evidence for a ship's batteries being used for planetary bombardment, just not with any kind of precision. You pick a spot on the planet, you blast it, you see what's left. What's left is usually now useless to either side strategically, and probably more than the original target has been hit.

If you like evidence from Black Library books, check out Xenos and Execution Hour, both of which feature bombardmend from ship's batteries

As I said you can do it, but you'd be better off using lances. Also I seem to remember that in at least one of the examples you used they were using bombardment cannon which are designed for that sort thing.

Ironically in Execution Hour , a bombardment cannon is only ever used to attack a cruiser, and yes, they are indeed designed to do that. A better question would be what you intend the bombardment to do - if you're just looking for wholesale devastation, a lance battery is a labourious way of achieving your goal. Lances would be best used to burn a specific spot (Albeit a large specific spot)

Levyten said:

Does the senechal really start with a 2d10+8 pen:13 inferno pistol??? looks odd to me

As it does to me. Especially considering that Inferno Pistols are extremely rare, far rarer than Plasma Pistols (used by the IG quite often) for example. They are almost en par with Archaeotech in my opinion. Even the DH and RT ruleboook says "Mere handfuls exist in each sector, each jealously guarded.". I am still not sure how to explain storywise how my groups Seneschal got one...

Luthor Harkon said:

Even the DH and RT ruleboook says "Mere handfuls exist in each sector, each jealously guarded.". I am still not sure how to explain storywise how my groups Seneschal got one...

Not your problem. Let his player explain it. If nothing else he won it in a high stakes game of whist at Bonner's Reach during Firetide.

Tetragon Tanebrae said:

This is incorrect within the context of the particular subject matter. The bonuses from bionics in no way effect the values of, nor the bonuses derived from, a particular attribute. This is stated specifically in the rules for bionic replacements.

Pg. 147-148; Bionic Replacement Limbs and Body Parts - Beginning of the last paragraph, " Note that bonuses and penalties relate only to Tests made using the bionic limb..."

Pg. 148; Bionic Arm - " Good bionic arms provide a +10 bonus on Agility Tests requiring fine manipulation (such as Sleight of Hand) and add a +10 bonus to Strength Tests using the arm."

-=Brother Praetus=-

Brother Praetus said:

Tetragon Tanebrae said:

This is incorrect within the context of the particular subject matter. The bonuses from bionics in no way effect the values of, nor the bonuses derived from, a particular attribute. This is stated specifically in the rules for bionic replacements.

Pg. 147-148; Bionic Replacement Limbs and Body Parts - Beginning of the last paragraph, " Note that bonuses and penalties relate only to Tests made using the bionic limb..."

Pg. 148; Bionic Arm - " Good bionic arms provide a +10 bonus on Agility Tests requiring fine manipulation (such as Sleight of Hand) and add a +10 bonus to Strength Tests using the arm."

-=Brother Praetus=-

This wouldn't be the first time they've rewritten something. It's much easier to just have it be a +10 S (+1 SB) when the action primarily uses the limb in question.