Something I Wish to Share

By Shaneth, in UFS General Discussion

[deleted]

Might as well just wait for the podcast.

With all due respect Duckworth...

Shut the **** up. How many threads are we going to see in a month about prize support or the lack thereof? It's getting stupid annoying, and coming from a relatively well-respected member of the community only makes it that much worse.

You've already given the hint that you might just quit, so I'm gonna go with Randal here, "****, or get off the pot."

This thread serves no purpose. Most of us PRODUCTIVE people have already spewed the same garble we do over and over: if you've got a complaint, take it up with the company that be. No use coming to a UFS forum to tout about how wonderful Naruto is, especially when we've already drowned in OMFG PAID TO PROTECT ISN'T MASS-DISTRIBUTED, HOW EVER WILL MY FIRE DECK WIN WITHOUT IT?

/thread.

That's not very nice, sir.

While very few respect you, I will applaud you as how you have stated that you have had no playerbase for a year and still continue with this game. Not many people are that devoted to a luxury such as a CCG. You are one of a kind, sir.

Let me ask a question.
Do you think that upping the number of promo cards in store prize support would be a healthy thing for the game?

The point is Shane, although I agree with you, the forums may not be the best place for this. Contact FFG directly about this issue as I have and will, and it will change soon (that I know for sure, they are already working on fixing the OP issues).

VikramS said:

Contact FFG directly about this issue as I have and will, and it will change soon (that I know for sure, they are already working on fixing the OP issues).

VikramS said:

The point is Shane, although I agree with you, the forums may not be the best place for this. Contact FFG directly about this issue as I have and will, and it will change soon (that I know for sure, they are already working on fixing the OP issues).

The only reason why this isnt the place for it is because FFG doesnt even look at the forums so basically all we are accomplishing is talking among ourselves.....we as a playergroup cannot fix the issue someone from FFG has to do it

So id agree with Vik go see who you can talk to about and maybe if we get enough people to then things might just change

I hope the OP issue is changed soon. But the biggest problem to me is that they have been saying they were fixing it for months. Many months ago they promised us a new and better OP system (on the podcast Steve mentioned this a few times) and then in Oct we got an OP system that has been the worst in the entire history of UFS. Steve also said they were doing less promos and more non-card prizes, and yet any of that is to be seen. I under stand the whole contact them thing, but why have they been promising all this stuff then nothing? Why do we need to contact them to tell them the OP system sucks when they were telling us they were planning on changing it and making it better anyways?

At Gencon, Steve talked to us about revamping the prize support. It was mainly myself and Antigoth. Steve said something like:

"You know, I really just want to revamp the OP. We have tournaments at this place that run standard, but tournaments over at that place that want to run legacy. To make it easier on everybody, I'm thinking of making the prize support into two sections: One section for Standard and one section for Legacy, and everybody gets that support. What would you guys think of that?"

I dunno why it didn't come to me that 5-point stuff is still legacy.

I believe they are trying to fix it they just dont know how exactly because they adressed the issue of the chase promos and now thats not an issue but getting those promos was what made alot of us actually want to play competitively in tourneys and buy cards to have the best decks so that we can win those cards that there arent many of

I mean at this point we might as well just give them out at the start of the tourney since everyone is going to get them at some point anyway

Da_ghetto_gamer said:

I mean at this point we might as well just give them out at the start of the tourney since everyone is going to get them at some point anyway

Unless you have an insufficient number of copies to hand out, like 12.

The problem is mainly the number. 12 = 3 playsets while 40 = 10 playsets.

If it was non-stackable characters, then I'd be fine with a miniscule number such as 12.

Da_ghetto_gamer said:

I believe they are trying to fix it they just dont know how exactly because they adressed the issue of the chase promos and now thats not an issue but getting those promos was what made alot of us actually want to play competitively in tourneys and buy cards to have the best decks so that we can win those cards that there arent many of

Da_ghetto_gamer said:

I think there just needs to be a balance between good promos and how easy they are to get. Something between giving each store a stack of the promo cards vs randomly putting them in packs and your store might only see 1-2 Chesters Backings a month while some other store is getting 3-4 a month. I think the promos need to be good but not too good. Even if it's just characters. I mean I remember back when they had all those promo characters at one time, Skaura, Ken, Rose, Rock, etc, etc. Go back to something like that (maybe not as powerful but something that people will want) not like most of the garbage characters we have been getting for the past few years, and so many of them each player ends up with a playset after the first month they are out.

Shaneth said:

Da_ghetto_gamer said:

Unless you have an insufficient number of copies to hand out, like 12.

The problem is mainly the number. 12 = 3 playsets while 40 = 10 playsets.

If it was non-stackable characters, then I'd be fine with a miniscule number such as 12.

for some reason i think we got 24 but i may be mistaken i just feel like everyone who wants them has them and i have 5 faithful bodyguards and havent won a tourney all month

24 copies of a single card? So 48 cards total per month?

We just got two packs of 6 per card. That totals to 12x White Cranes, 12x Faithful Bodyguard, 12x Gairus Mauis or whoever, and 12x The Peaceful Way.

Shaneth said:

24 copies of a single card? So 48 cards total per month?

We just got two packs of 6 per card. That totals to 12x White Cranes, 12x Faithful Bodyguard, 12x Gairus Mauis or whoever, and 12x The Peaceful Way.

yeah i believe at least thats the way i feel we all have a playset now and i have at least 3 white cranes

I dont know about the november stuff i havent seen it yet

We just got a stack of 12. I think thats how a lot of other stores got it as well.

I'll ask to be forgiven straight up, because I'm going to assume this is going to sound sarcastic.

People complained that Prize Support was worthless because so many copies were given out, that it held no value on the secondary market.

Now that FFG is still giving out Free Prize Support - of cards that are sought after - in quantities that people will either have to - Travel to other shops to get sufficient copies for their needs. Or Trade for the additional copies they require. People are complaining that their prize support cards aren't worthless.

In a different thread, people complained because their game didn't pay them to play it.

Now they're complaining because they're not giving enough copies of sought after cards, so they're in effect creating a secondary market.

But in another thread, these same people were complaining about the lack of secondary market.

WOULD YOU PEOPLE MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!

Here is, in my opinion, the reason why prize support is sucking right now.

If I had to GUESS... early rotation screwed things up. This left most of the printed prize pool immediately useless, but there was nothing they could do at that point, because the few legal promos printed were printed in limited amounts, thinking of only prereleases or the occasional special promotion (Fight Life comes to mind).

There aren't that many promo cards that you CAN use, because they weren't printed in large enough numbers. Until new promo batches are made, we'll see scarce promos.

Am I remotely making sense here?

The truth is people want scarce promo of the sucky cards and mass distribution of the great cards.

Shaneth said:

That's not very nice, sir.

While very few respect you, I will applaud you as how you have stated that you have had no playerbase for a year and still continue with this game. Not many people are that devoted to a luxury such as a CCG. You are one of a kind, sir.

Let me ask a question.
Do you think that upping the number of promo cards in store prize support would be a healthy thing for the game?

I think plenty of people respect me, they just disagree with some of my opinions.

Also, that's a very obvious question; of COURSE more promos is better than less! However, no point in discussing something so universally agreed-upon here.

guitalex2008 said:

Here is, in my opinion, the reason why prize support is sucking right now.

If I had to GUESS... early rotation screwed things up. This left most of the printed prize pool immediately useless, but there was nothing they could do at that point, because the few legal promos printed were printed in limited amounts, thinking of only prereleases or the occasional special promotion (Fight Life comes to mind).

There aren't that many promo cards that you CAN use, because they weren't printed in large enough numbers. Until new promo batches are made, we'll see scarce promos.

Am I remotely making sense here?

Shaneth said:

I understand how you are thinking. That's a possible speculation. If so, they'll need to make sheets of Paid to Protect and Heir to the Storm before we start seeing them in prize support.

I restate as stated in a previous thread where you were complaining about prize support.

FFG has sent many copies of PtP in the prize support for the Central Canada Comic Con this weekend.

Antigoth said:

FFG has sent many copies of PtP in the prize support for the Central Canada Comic Con this weekend.

I contacted FFG about additional support for my special events.

They basically sent me an email with two middle fingers on it, saying they don't have any promos available.

Shaneth said:

Antigoth said:

I contacted FFG about additional support for my special events.

They basically sent me an email with two middle fingers on it, saying they don't have any promos available.

I booked the event via the OP site.

Purchased the remaining Wandering Master Chits from Gencon , and Paid for a Poster for the event, basically purchasing a kit.

Granted, this is also a 15,000 person convention. I'm not sure of the scale of the special events you were requesting support for. And based on what I paid for the kit, and how much everyone is complaining about the cost of Prize support, while my convention felt the cost was reasonable, I get the feeling a few others wouldn't feel the same way.

I think that's the biggest issue right now, do you feel like you're getting your money's worth for promotional product?

If you look at the regional kits, a lot of people didn't think so. The participation prize was, for most, a foil common card which ended up cycling too soon. I know I got shorted on my number of Top 8 promo pull kits, and many were indifferent over the life counters (I liked 'em). Especially when compared to the two major event kits we had before, which all players got significantly more playable cards without a cost, it felt like a disappointment. My store and I added additional prize support that was far beyond what was included at our own cost.

If you look at the store championship kits, lots have been disappointed. If you don't get Top 8, which it sounds like there's a split on stores that do and stores that won't, you're left out in the cold. If you do, you get a character. The plaque and card sleeves don't have anyone interested at all, which then boils down to just 8 promo characters for that cost.

The first Fight Night kit initially wasn't a bad purchase, especially for recruitment, but that early rotation basically made it a waste. It's really hard to give out Domination starters to players, find out they like the characters, and tell 'em, "Yeah, these aren't legal in standard." The new kit is helpful if you can get a new recruit so they can come up to speed faster, but I'm honestly surprised that the store owners who still had unsold boxes on their shelves aren't going up in arms.

It just doesn't feel like we're getting our money's worth, and with people pinching pennies still, ya gotta wonder. But, the fair question would be, what would you expect in a city championship kit, which will be coming this winter? What is a fair cost? What kind of prizes inside are enough to get people who wouldn't normally come to your store to show up (i.e. out of state folk)?

If FFG is going to look at this from a bottom-line perspective, so can we.

I don't know if there really isn't anything new to say about this or on any of the other multiple threads regarding prize support that hasn't already been said.

It basically boils down to what you want to do to encourage your group to continue to play or what you want to do to encourage new players. Yes, there will always be people who complain about the prize support. Yes, there will always be people who complain about *any* actions taken by the company to correct that or the game itself. Bottom line is that the majority of support is still -+FREE+-. You do not have to jump through hoops like some companies (WoTC), nor have to make down payments or set amounts based off projected numbers. The support *does* contain relevant promo's, with 2 new ones coming out every month. With the decision of sending only 12 of each of the two being sent each month only should ensure that enough are available for everyone who is interested without flooding the card pool with unneeded bulk (Seth, Ken, Blanka, etc.). Yes, there is still 4-star bulk being, but give it some time as stated in other posts, there is work being done to resolve that. In the interim, why not try wallpapering your binder, or maybe patching up that hole on your jeans. Come on man, try some Martha Stewart or something. With regards to the regionals support, I cannot say anything on that as I did not order it (no money), but I did enjoy participating in the Lubbock Regionals along with several other out-of-towners.

The Fight Life Kit.

Hell yes I will be buying this (these). For myself, paying 50-100.00 to get basically a free box(es) and some schwag is a great cost, especially on a budget. As for the relevance of the cards for SCIV and ShadoWar, these will be in rotation for quite a while and are still very tradeable. If you have plenty, then do not buy the kit. I would believe that there will be enough buyers of this that if all you want is the promos, give it some time and they should be readily available for trades online and otherwise.

Anyways, this is my 3 1/2 cents, adjusted for inflation.

(P.S. that is not a fat joke.)