Rogue Trader wargear prices in DH

By ZillaPrime, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Ok, so I got my gleeful hands on my copy of Rogue Trader earlier this week and am quite happy with it. Joyous! Lots and lots of yummy new material to use here, and much of it perfect for use in my DH game, especially seeing as Eisenhorn/Ravenor really paved the way for Inquisition/Rogue Trader interactions. Some of the new wargear just crys out for some of our acolytes to pick up and use! Now the sad part....

FFG left out the price tags. Yes, I understand that there is an economy of scale going on and a Rogue Trader is more likely to sell "Lasguns, Kantrel pattern. Crated. 5 tons metric." than worry about how much 2 rifles might cost. That being said, it still seems like an oversight of sorts: The "Good Captain" would certainly be interested to know "profit by mass" figures if nothing else, plus it helps calculate barter values. More to the point, I would not mind having a little published support for the prices I am going to be forced to pull out of my posterior when my players ask about buying or otherwise getting their (not so) grubby mitts on them. And they WILL want some of this wargear, trust me!

Some distinctions are obvious, such as a mastercraft storm bolter being more valuable than an old lascarbine that fell from an exploding Chimaera before being abused by gretchin for a week, but still....

I formally request a price list for the eventual eratta or even just posted on the DH/RT websites.

The new gear in RT should be incredibly hard to find for DH characters due to the overall better quality of the gear and should cost an appropriate amount more. Doubling the cost of the DH equivalent and lowering the availability of the gear by one to two levels would be as cheap as I would make some of it.

My ultimate recommendation would be to use the RT gear as high level rewards from the groups Inquisitor for really, really outstanding work.

ItsUncertainWho said:

lowering the availability of the gear by one to two levels would be as cheap as I would make some of it.

Given that the acquisitions system in Rogue Trader seems designed to work with the pre-existing availability system (with a few additional levels of availability to account for really rare stuff) so that you can, for example, use rare items like Refractor Fields from The Inquisitor's Handbook, I don't see why this should be the case - in a lot of cases, the equipment is essentially identical with only minor variation anyway (for example, Rogue Trader gives Pen 7 Hellguns instead of ones capable of autofire. Given that armour above AP6 is typically power armour, the difference seems inconsequential, and the autofiring hellguns in The Inquisitor's Handbook are far more useful against lightly-armoured or unarmoured targets), and where there is a larger variation, that can be dealt with by variations in cost.

The idea of simply jacking up the price and making it harder to find than already listed seems more like a knee-jerk reaction than anything else, IMO.

By “new gear” I meant the NEW GEAR that has no direct equivalent in DH and by “some of it” I mean not all of it.

The much more advanced optic systems, Digi weaponry, etc that have some parallels but are far from the same would get cost increases. I would not allow a Digi-Melta ring to be had for the same price as a Melta gun. I would, at the least, double the cost of a Melta and make it very difficult to find for an acolyte of the Inquisition.

Maybe my last sentence should have been made clearer by changing it to:
My ultimate recommendation would be to use the extra-special-super-shiny-uber-archaeo-kill-it-all-ultra-rare-wonder RT gear as high level rewards from the groups Inquisitor for really, really outstanding work.

Does that make things more clear?

Since RT and DH are really one game system and world, every book in one can be a source book for the other. Probably not adventures, but everything else. I would think it would be in FFG's interest to give us prices on RT items.

I also like the idea of some of these being used as rewards for a job well done.

Another way to introduce one is to use it against the players, by giving it to an antagonist.

Of course, if you wish, instead of assigning prices to RT items, you can port the profit factor over to DH as a indicator of the resources each acolyte brings to the cell as well as how well liked or trusted said cell was to their inquisitor and, as such, an indicator of what they could request and expect to get from their master, what they could requisition from Arbiter facilities, what their scum could feasibly turn up trough his gang contacts, etc. Of course, you would need to start the cell at a much lower level then an RT (somewhere between 0 and 5, somewhere between a nothing and a well to do hive gang) and they would receive PF points as rewards for missions well executed (masters favor) securing additional resources for their master, and securing additional resources and contacts for themselves and their cell.

Just a thought. Of course I only favor this approach because I have long hated the monetary system in DH and felt it didn't carry the feel of 40k very well, but that just might be me and my group.

I ported the Profit Factor over to DH and gave the party a PF of 35 which is below the Inquisitor listed on the table. Sooo much easier and I am assuming, with a little Q&A with Ross at GenCon, that Ascension will have a very similar system.

As for directly porting from RT to DH... there are additional levels of availability and some things as Rare in DH are Very Rare in RT. With a little work, GMs should be able to convert the RT items to DH items and come up with prices. With all the DH books out now, there should be enough relative information to make educated guesses.

-Cynr

Cynr said:

I ported the Profit Factor over to DH and gave the party a PF of 35 which is below the Inquisitor listed on the table. Sooo much easier and I am assuming, with a little Q&A with Ross at GenCon, that Ascension will have a very similar system.

After test-building a 5,000 XP Departmento Munitorum Adept (to compare him to Rogue Trader characters, as my resumed campaign will be neither RT nor DH, but a hybrid of the two), I've been sorely tempted to allow Scholastic Lore (Bureaucracy) to be used as an alternative to Profit Factor in the acquisitions system, but at the cost of greatly-increased time taken to receive the item and far greater accountability (representing appropriately connected characters filling out the correct paperwork and requisitioning items through the 'proper channels').

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Cynr said:

After test-building a 5,000 XP Departmento Munitorum Adept (to compare him to Rogue Trader characters, as my resumed campaign will be neither RT nor DH, but a hybrid of the two), I've been sorely tempted to allow Scholastic Lore (Bureaucracy) to be used as an alternative to Profit Factor in the acquisitions system, but at the cost of greatly-increased time taken to receive the item and far greater accountability (representing appropriately connected characters filling out the correct paperwork and requisitioning items through the 'proper channels').

I was actually going to be doing something similar as i have an adept who's eyes light up anytime paperwork is mentioned and I do like to capitalize on that. The way I'll be going about it is the cell starts out with PF 5 (hive gang seems right for them). However, they can modify their PF for an acquisition with a lore role (SL (Beaurocracy), CL (Administratum), CL (underworld), CL (Arbites), etc) made against either their FL (shmoozing) or INT (requisitioning the proper way). In order to do tis,m they must be going to the organization the lore focuses on to make the acquisition. Peer talents would modify that roll as well. On a success, they get +5 PF +5 per DoS for that one acquisition but if they get 3+ DoF they get shot down out of the gate and can't make the acquisition roll. This way, the administratum bureaucrat with SL (beaurocracy) and peer (administratum) can get a lot more from his own people then from the gelders in the trading square and the arbiter with peer (abites) and cl (arbiters) can get a lot more from a precinct's armoury ten he could if he went to the munitorum.

So, has anyone come up with a RT items RETAIL PRICE list?