FFG Tolkien-based games

By Sagremor, in Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

Hello Everyone,

I've been wondering which of the FFG games beased on Lord of the Rings and general Middle-Earth is the most interesting.

I wanted to know Your opinions before I buy anything. If I like Runebound, Arkham Horror, which of those games I might llike best?

Thanks

I can't say for the LoTR board game as I don't have that and never played it. But as a quick summary. War of the Ring is a wargame. Middle Earth Quest is well...questing. And Lord of the Rings The Confrontation is like a stratego/chess game. All the three of these are great, but very different games. If you like Runebound and such then MEQ is probably what you are looking for. Or....buy all three. happy.gif

It sounds like the one you would prefer is Middle Earth Quest.

Personally, War of the Ring is my fave, but I'm partial to wargames.

The only one that I personally own is War of the Ring, but I have read the rules and reviews for the others. I agree that Middle Earth Quest sounds like a good fit for you. As a huge Tolkien fan though, I have to suggest that you at least look into War of the Ring. Everything about the game, the rules, board and minis just "feel" right. I especially love the map board. I have read some criticisms of the color scheme, but to me they are exactly as they should be. It is a pretty in-depth game, however, and takes at least 2.5 to 3 hours to play.

I get my hands on any Lord of the Rings - based game I can and I haven't been disappointed yet. No one's discussed Knizia's Lord of the Rings: The Boardgame yet, so I'll let you know that if you are into a cooperative type game for 2-5 players, this is perfect...as are it's three expansions. The game is fun and challenging, combining cards, dice, event tiles, and amazing artwork by John Howe.