Good expansion ideas for 'vanilla descent'?

By Facepalm2, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

i am putting up this forum because i was thinking that they are almost definitly coming out with another vanilla expansion (for those of you that do not know what that is it is well of darkness and such.) i was wondering if anyone had any good ideas what the next expansion should about (ice, lava, jungle ect.)

I *really* hope they do a sea-based expansion, so we can get some cooler creatures to play with in Sea of Blood! Monsters, skills, heroes with special sea abilities, etc :)

-shnar

i agree that would be a good idea. i also think that a desert expansion could be interesting. They could have some cool monsters and creaitve scenarios.

A cool expansion would be an "increased party size" expansion. New quests for larger parties, modified rules & game balancing, and maybe some abilities, treasures, & new monsters that would apply to the entire group.

...otherwise I agree with the SoB helper-expansion idea.

facepalm said:

i agree that would be a good idea. i also think that a desert expansion could be interesting. They could have some cool monsters and creaitve scenarios.

Wasn't AoD desert themed? Seemed like most of the heroes were arabic-like...

-shnar

I would like to see one more undead creature such as a zombie and some more sea creatures to go with the Sea of Blood theme. Also it would be nice to have some generic human thieves to battle with since there seems to be a lack of evil humans in the Terrinoth world.

joshuapavon said:

A cool expansion would be an "increased party size" expansion. New quests for larger parties, modified rules & game balancing,

*cough*

shnar said:

Wasn't AoD desert themed? Seemed like most of the heroes were arabic-like...

The heroes were all desert themed because they were same heroes found in Sands of Al-Kalim from Runebound, but beyond that I don't remember anything particularly desert-themed about AoD. Given that SoB's overland map is taken from Isle of Dread, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine a desert-themed campaign expansion will be on the way using the map from SoAK at some point in the future.

Does SoB not have any miniatures in it, like RtL? I would expect as much but I haven't actually read anything explicit. If so, then I definitely would like to see some kind of aquatic expansion, even if it's something smaller than the normal expansion boxes. I want my darn Bloodsquid figs >=O

With Tomb of Ice covering the whole winter theme, I don't know how likely another such themed expansion would be. If there was it would almost certainly be a campaign expansion to bring in the Frozen Wastes map, and not another vanilla expansion.

As far as vanilla expansions I would like to see, there's still the whole urban idea which has merit, imho.

It's miniature-less. Well, unless you get the first run of them, in which case you'll get the Nara the Fang hero.

We were discussing themes for the next expansion a few weeks ago, and I opined that there should be a Necropolis theme. I too would love to see some more undead minis in my dungeons (zombies, wights, wraiths, ghouls, ghasts, ghosts, liches, vampires, whathaveyou).

The other one I suggested was an Aerie. I'd like to have them climbing UP for an adventure into the rocky heights. Giant eagles? Harpies? Griffons? I don't know, but it seems wide open. An Ettin up there would be nice. Goblins and/or Hobgoblins?

I wouldn't mind seen an Angelic theme. Heroes that are Monks, Priests, etc. and monsters that are more Demonic (Imps, Devils, smaller Demons, etc). I guess monsters kind of like Doom?

-shnar

some of these ideas never occured to me and i think they would be cool, like the Aerie and Angelic themes.

I'd like to see some way to do a crossover with Runebound. Perhaps adding dungeon and outdoor encounters to the adventure decks. I'm not sure how best to balance it out so that every player always gets to do things, but it could make for a fun twist (albeit one that needs a lot of table space).

The Warp said:

We were discussing themes for the next expansion a few weeks ago, and I opined that there should be a Necropolis theme. I too would love to see some more undead minis in my dungeons (zombies, wights, wraiths, ghouls, ghasts, ghosts, liches, vampires, whathaveyou).

Well, you should have a look at the Order of Kellos expansion in the homebrew section. It´s a full-fledged Print&Play Vanilla expansion, with a lot of the monster types you mentioned (zombies, wights, wraiths, ghouls and shadows - stand-ups only but with very nice abilities).

The heros can play Order members with their own dedicated Skills and Feat card set (replacing wizardry). The heros vary between more paladin-like fighters and full priests/monks of Kellos, all of them can perform some powerful healing (yet have other strictures by their Order).

There´s even a lot of RtL stuff in it, including an avatar (The Keeper) and a new plot (Heresy).

Parathion said:

The Warp said:

Well, you should have a look at the Order of Kellos expansion in the homebrew section. It´s a full-fledged Print&Play Vanilla expansion, with a lot of the monster types you mentioned (zombies, wights, wraiths, ghouls and shadows - stand-ups only but with very nice abilities).

The heros can play Order members with their own dedicated Skills and Feat card set (replacing wizardry). The heros vary between more paladin-like fighters and full priests/monks of Kellos, all of them can perform some powerful healing (yet have other strictures by their Order).

There´s even a lot of RtL stuff in it, including an avatar (The Keeper) and a new plot (Heresy).

where is the 'homebrew' section for that expansion? thanks