Event cards and some other small doubts

By AshmaDaeva, in CoC Rules Discussion

Hello.

I have a question that may sound stupid but since I'm not sure i will post it here.

How do event cards work? The rule book could help me on that.

My questions are:

When can they be played?

In which phases can you play the different types of cards and use different types of abilities.

Those first three domains you put on the table can be marked with anything( not necessary with cards right?)

Thanks a lot everyone!

Ashma

AshmaDaeva said:

sdf

How do event cards work? The rule book could help me on that.

My questions are:

When can they be played?

In which phases can you play the different types of cards and use different types of abilities.

Those first three domains you put on the table can be marked with anything( not necessary with cards right?)

Thanks a lot everyone!

Ashma

- If you look in the rules you will find a flow chart that will show you at what points in the turn Events can be played. But basically, after most game actions (refresh, draws, play card in operation phase) there is an Action phase when the active player can play an Event card and then the other player can play. Each player takes turns playing Event cards until both players pass. Keep in mind that you have to have undrained domains to pay for the Events (assuming they cost at least 1), so that will limit your play. Read the flowchart carefully and make sure you understand when to play Events before and during the Story phase .... that is very important to play.

- As explained above, Event cards are played throughout the phases. Character, Support, and Conspiracy cards can only be played by the active players during their Operations phase. Actions on cards can be played during any one of the Action phases, assuming you can meet the conditions of the Action and pay the costs (if any). Responses can be triggered (if desired) when the condition occurs described on the card. Forced Responses must be triggered after the condition described on the card comes into play, and Disrupts interrupt other Actions.

- Use anything you like to be the Domain cards, some take unused cards from the set, some have special Domain cards from the CCG, but anything will do.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much!

My problem with Events were that when reading through the rule book in the core set, in the page that speaks about the End of turn, it said you could use that step to play events and actions and I never connected the dots. Thanks again!!

Here's something that I posted a while ago to answer another question. It goes into more detail than you probably need, but might help to clarify matters.

Just note that an Event card is (usually) nothing more than a vehicle for a triggered effect which may be an Action , Response , Forced Response or Disrupt and you can play those effects (via an Event card, an in-play Character or Support card, or an out-of-play Character or Support card whose effect specifically occurs from out-of-play) whenever the rules allow you to. When is that? See below (with reference to the Detailed Turn Sequence chart from page 13 of the LCG Rules book):

Timing in a Action Sequence

An Action may be played whenever an opportunity arises during an "Actions may be taken" white box. Opportunities to play Actions (and Responses , Disrupts , etc) alternate between players in every "Actions may be taken" box, with the active player going first. Even if the active player doesn't play an Action when an opportunity arises (e.g. after drawing 2 cards), that's considered a 'pass' and their opponent may still play an Action (e.g. Panic ) before play continues to the next green box (e.g. attaching a resource).

An Action must resolve completely before anything else can happen, except for Disrupts . A Disrupt must be resolved completely before the Action finishes resolving, unless Disrupt ed itself.

Then, any Forced Responses which were triggered by the prior Action must occur. Some Disrupts can interrupt these, too. Some Forced Response effects are not triggered by player-initiated Actions , but they too must occur immediately after their trigger resolves (e.g. after Ravager from the Deep is committed to a story, which, by extension, means after all of that player's characters are committed to stories).

Then, one or more Responses may be played if their trigger conditions were met by the immediately preceding Action or Forced Response . Again, these can be Disrupted by certain cards, and may be triggered by other effects (e.g. the act of drawing a card).

A Disrupt can only occur during another effect (e.g. Action , Response , Forced Response , Combat Struggle, etc.) and cannot be triggered on their own.

Below the '6. End of Turn' phase on the turn sequence page, there are some useful notes. As I read it, only Disrupt effects occur inside a 'green box' and Forced Response effects must occur immediately as soon as the box is finished (i.e. before Actions or Responses may be played).

The definitions of triggered effects and triggered ability on page 13 are also quite handy and worth remembering.