Descent Dice Roller

By veector, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

This is pretty cool, thanks!

I know it has been awhile but you dice roller is down, Do you plan to bring it back?

I would also like to see it back on the web.

I liked the average to compare weapons and monsters.

Ezhaeu said:

I liked the average to compare weapons and monsters.

For comparison and analysis, you may find this tool to be helpful; it will calculate the average number of attacks needed to kill a given target with a given attack, which I would argue is more informative than the average damage. It doesn't generate actual die rolls like you'd use instead of dice when playing a game, though.

I see a problem with these computerized dice rollers - they assume that the descent dice are random. I recall seeing a thread earlier that suggested that the blue die is weighted to be more likely to miss then would be expected by chance. If that's the case then using an online roller would make ranged characters and skeletons more powerful. Just something to think about.

Badend said:

I see a problem with these computerized dice rollers - they assume that the descent dice are random. I recall seeing a thread earlier that suggested that the blue die is weighted to be more likely to miss then would be expected by chance. If that's the case then using an online roller would make ranged characters and skeletons more powerful. Just something to think about.

I seem to recall a thread in which someone said that one die rolled X more often than others based on a tiny sample size and questionable sampling methodology. If there was a thread in which someone actually presented evidence worth taking seriously that the die isn't fair, I'd appreciate a link.

Regardless, though, I think it's reasonable to guess that the dice are intended to be fair dice, even if a manufacturing defect makes them slightly uneven. Unless the die is obviously deliberately weighted, like if there's an off-center hunk of metal inside it or something.

after 188 rolls I have

blue 17.6% miss 15.4% 4/S 34% 3/H/S 17.6% 2/HH 15.4% 1/HH

white 16.5% miss 30.3% 3/H/S 18.1% 2/HH 35.1% 1/HHH/S

red 23.9% miss 13.8% 2/H/S 13.8% 2/HH 14.9% 1/HHH 17% 1/HHH/S 16.5% HHHH

Your dice will differ I am sure.

I am sure the dice are supposed to be fair, I am also sure they are not but they do seem close enough.

I don't think that qualifies as a proper test of the dice 188 rolls, even if it is for each die (red, white and blue). You only need 13-14 misses more to deviate by 7.5%.

if it is 63 rolls, you need to roll 5-6 misses more than average to deviate by 7.5%

Normal balanced dice for backgammen are rolled 1000 times each with a tolerance of 1%.

188 rolls is total for each red, white, and blue %

There were 2 dice used for red, white,and blue trying to restrict the effect of any unique dice defect.

1 roll out of 188 is 0.53%. You are saying to get a tolerance of 1% on the results you need 1000 rolls? I think that is what you are saying.

I would suggest there may be an issue with the red dice miss % that seems off more than the number of rolls would account for. However, this seems to be unique to one of my red dice. The rest of the results seem well within expected ranges for real dice.

The reason why I say I am sure the dice are not fair is because no effort was put into place to counteract the weight differences between the sides of the dice. However, while this is technically true I would further state that the dice are close enough for all practical purposes.

Good dice videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2fxoNHIuU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxmkWrDbn34&feature=related&pos=0

There's no need to calculate averages... everyone knows that all the dice are designed to come up with X when you really need them not to. :)

14 times in a row. (true story)

The Descent Dice Roller has disappeared for a while, but now it's back on a grand new glorious site started by yours truly...

Descent Dice Roller at Descent Database

And if you're interested, feel free to register on the site and post some stuff!

White die counts range as wounds and wounds as range