Battle against lieutenants - how do I setup the map?

By Shakkar, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

If lieutenant and heroes meet each other at the map, they can battle each other.

On which map do we fight? If the lieutenant attacks, I assume we draw a green encounter map and we use the lieutenant and his minions as attackers? Ambush yes/no? But how does it work if the heroes attack?

...and does this battle count as normal action in this week, or can the heroes enter the dungeon afterwards? Go shopping?

Shakkar said:

If lieutenant and heroes meet each other at the map, they can battle each other.

On which map do we fight? If the lieutenant attacks, I assume we draw a green encounter map and we use the lieutenant and his minions as attackers? Ambush yes/no? But how does it work if the heroes attack?

...and does this battle count as normal action in this week, or can the heroes enter the dungeon afterwards? Go shopping?

The heroes can choose to battle the lieutenant or not and yes it does take the standard week action

the map is chosen by drawing one of the green encounter cards, the lieutenant follows the same starting position rules as any other monster and the same applies to its minions if any. The lieutenant never gets to ambush the heroes because it's the heroes choice to fight them or not and even if the overlord sends the lieutenant to fight the party there is still no ambush. This setup is used when the party attacks or the lieutenant attacks.

Does this help? I'm quoting it straight from the rulebook not word for word but you get the idea.

Thanks for your reply, I thought I missed sth, because this would mean that the lieuenant can flee without any risk to be killed. The OL can place him close to the escape and move him away before he is attacked.

Maybe monsters in general can not run away?

...starting my first RtL tomorrow ;)

That's not entirely true. A lieutenant that flees goes back to the OL keep, which may be enough of a desired effect for the heroes.

While the Lt. can run an any time, the encounter ends with a hero victory if they do. Most of the time, the Lt will stick around long enough to throw a few critters at the good guys and then flee if they put up to much of a fight. Find a way to lure the Lt in or blitz them before they can react, and you can crunch them good if you've powered up properly

Thank you very much. Send him back to the OL's keep is indeed a nice effect.