More rule questions

By Kylearan2, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi,

we started our first RtL campaign last night, and some questions about the rules came up (of course...). Maybe someone here can help?

1) The rules state a maximum cap on the number of silver and gold dice a hero can upgrade to per campaign level, e.g. 3 silver dice at copper level. Does this cap also applies to spending fatigue in combat? For example, a hero has 3 silver dice and 2 black dice in copper level. Can he spend fatigue to upgrade another black die to silver, or a silver die to gold even?

2) If two heroes are restocking in town, can they exchange items freely, or do they have to spend movement points to do so on the turn they return to dungeon?

3) The "Ancient Library" dungeon has a master sorcerer level leader that will respawn on the beginning of the overlord's turn if killed. I assume that he can be placed ignoring the normal LoS rules for spawn cards, right? Because otherwise this rule would make no sense, seeing as the whole room can be covered by even a single hero...

Thanks in advance!

-Kylearan

Kylearan said:

Hi,

we started our first RtL campaign last night, and some questions about the rules came up (of course...). Maybe someone here can help?

1) The rules state a maximum cap on the number of silver and gold dice a hero can upgrade to per campaign level, e.g. 3 silver dice at copper level. Does this cap also applies to spending fatigue in combat? For example, a hero has 3 silver dice and 2 black dice in copper level. Can he spend fatigue to upgrade another black die to silver, or a silver die to gold even?

2) If two heroes are restocking in town, can they exchange items freely, or do they have to spend movement points to do so on the turn they return to dungeon?

3) The "Ancient Library" dungeon has a master sorcerer level leader that will respawn on the beginning of the overlord's turn if killed. I assume that he can be placed ignoring the normal LoS rules for spawn cards, right? Because otherwise this rule would make no sense, seeing as the whole room can be covered by even a single hero...

Thanks in advance!

-Kylearan

1. this only applies to upgrading at a secret master area. Max 3 per tier up untill gold lv. then you can max on gold dice. With fatigue you can change a black die to a sliver then change that silver die to a gold by spending fatigue (pg 24)

2)heros can exchange free while in town.

3) this one I thought the samething Iv'e been told that unless the map states otherwise this map is 4 diffent rooms same as barracks (5),dragon's lair (3). ect......

Kylearan said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

-Kylearan

1. this only applies to upgrading at a secret master area. Max 3 per tier up untill gold lv. then you can max on gold dice. With fatigue you can change a black die to a sliver then change that silver die to a gold by spending fatigue (pg 24)

2)heros can exchange free while in town.

3) this one I thought the samething Iv'e been told that unless the map states otherwise this map is 4 diffent rooms same as barracks (5),dragon's lair (3). ect...... so on that note the LOS can be block by the other rooms corner walls. demonio.gif

Kylearan said:

Hi,

The cap only applies to bought dice. Fatigue (or power potions) can make the actual number/type of dice rolled go above the cap.

The hero restocks during their turn, and they get the items they bought. They can spend movement points to exchange those with others after they get back to the dungeon, or before returning to the dungeon - but they don't get to exchange freely.

]3) The "Ancient Library" dungeon has a master sorcerer level leader that will respawn on the beginning of the overlord's turn if killed. I assume that he can be placed ignoring the normal LoS rules for spawn cards, right? Because otherwise this rule would make no sense, seeing as the whole room can be covered by even a single hero...

I don't have my game in front of me, but I believe you are right. If he makes his Undying roll then he pops up again instantly, otherwise he pops up in his previous position at the start of the Overlord's turn. Presumably if a player tries to be "clever" by killing him and then standing directly in his location he will simply pop up in an adjacent square.

Sorry about the quoting problem - this board software seems to use non-standard tags for formatting...

1. Yes spending fatigue to upgrade dice is not restricted by campaign level.

2. While visiting or restocking in a town you can trade freely

3. Because he is spawned it means he follows all rules for LoS. This map has plenty of places to spawn a single space monster.

Hi,

thanks all for your answers - although they contradict each other. gui%C3%B1o.gif As for question 2), I think Boggs is right that the heroes have to spend movement points to give away items when restocking (not visiting) a town, as I seem to remember reading this in the rulebook as well, but I wasn't sure anymore and couldn't find it again.

As for the Ancient Library dungeon, I guess we have to find a rule ourselves. @apbevan, I disagree about the map having plenty of places to spawn - 2 heroes suffice to cover the complete dungeon!

But even if we play that the master sorcerer will be spawned in its starting spot ignoring the LoS rules, this dungeon level seems awfully easy for the heroes *and* giving them two treasures chests...ah well, I'll have to see how to deal with that on our next session.

-Kylearan

P.S.: This forum software is awful. Why did FFG have to reinvent the wheel when there are so many powerful forum software packages out there already? No preview, no permanent smiley window, no individual thread memory of new posts, no custom avatars, no option for (un)subscribing, ...