Never beyond 6?

By Vexous, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

Hey guys, still a bit new to this system and I was wondering about the stat cap. As I understand it no stats go beyond 6 correct? Does that ever change for "exceptional" individuals?

Take Guri for example. She's supposedly designed to be at the top of human performance and she also has biological boosters to put her above and beyond that. Normally height and weight would be an indicator for Brawn, but she weighs more than a person would anyway and her muscles are augmented as well. How do you stat someone like that without going past 6?

Basically, can and/or should 6 ever be exceeded? Of course I'm talking npcs here not player characters.

I think in some cases (droids) it is possible (with cybernetics) to have a 7.

A 6 Brawn is already way beyond what most humans will ever dream of having.

6 is character max on the stat as purchesed through beginning XP and Dedication talents. The stat can be boosted beyond 6 with cybernetics and other boosters, such as the Doctor's Improved Stim Application talent.

Sounds like what I'm hearing is basically yes, it can be exceeded, but not often. And even then, there probably isn't much need for it to go beyond anyway. Right then, sort of what I suspected. Thanks for the input guys.

Remember, Talents are just as important if not more important than the Characteristics/Skill Ranks for doing things. Someone who's 5/4 with tons of Talents will be far better than someone who is just 6/5.

The Rancor has Brawn 6, that should close the discussion about Guri :)

The Rancor has Brawn 6, that should close the discussion about Guri :)

And a Wookie can have Brawn 6.

Sort of where some of my questioning comes from actually. The wookie as strong as a rancor thing. Although since narrative is more important than crunchy numbers(thankfully), I'm thinking I could just rule in the rancor's favor on this one. Simply keep 6 as a safe capstone and leave the narrative to do the rest.

From the core book.

"Characteristic ratings for both PCs and NPCs generally range from one to six. Some exception exist, especially in powerful or unique cases - for example, a rancor likely has a Brawn rating much higer than one of the PC's. NPCs like Darth Vader, Yoda, Han Solo, and other exceptional individual from the Star Wars universe likely have abilities well beyond the scope of your typical starting NPC."

Rancor, instead having Brawn 12, have a higer Soak and Base Damage, as it have it, but in general mechanics it only roll 5 or 6 dices. So generally the main idea is that max stats are 6, or 7 in case of cybernetics, but the rest is a mere interpretation.

Further away from rolling 7 dices system can fail I supose (number of dices and probabilities). So, beyond that 6/7, just add special abilities or attributes ;)

Rancor also has Silhouette 2 (or even 3?), which counts when knockdowns etc. are considered. But I think such monsters should be treated as vehicles.

The cap in stats for all creatures is to limit the dice pools from getting even crazier. The GM sets difficulties so the Wookie may have to make a Daunting athletics check to lift up a gate, while the silhouette rancor needs to make an average check to break it open (most likely the GM just says he does it because its part of the story).

Also, I doubt a wookie is going to punch his way past a rancor's soak very often whereas the rancor's huge rending claws will settle the argument of who is tougher.