Renewed fan interest with 5e

By edwardp, in Midnight Second Edition

As title states, is there any renewed fan interest with the release of 5e.

For Midnight? Always have interest in Midnight, but zero interest in 5e. My group abandoned D&D after 3.5 got out of control with books. If there was a conversion of some sort that kept the Paths intact in some fashion, I would look into it.

~ alemander

For Midnight? Always have interest in Midnight, but zero interest in 5e. My group abandoned D&D after 3.5 got out of control with books. If there was a conversion of some sort that kept the Paths intact in some fashion, I would look into it.

~ alemander

Agreed. At the moment, I'd rather see a Pathfinder conversion (especially because of Hero Lab support)… but I'd be willing to try anything that revived the setting.

~ alemander

You should give 5E a try. After being a skeptic watching the initial playtests unfold I now am a true believer. The new core system is solid and robust. Even beautiful in terms of mechanics. Got fed up with Pathfinder and the constant power creep.

I would love to see a new version of Midnight, whether it used a version of D&D or maybe a whole new system. One of my favorite settings of all time!

So what are people's opinions of 5ed?

I completely lost interest in D&D after the farce of 4th edition and never went back (except a couple of retro 3.5ed games).

I did not get into the 4th edition as it was too focussed on minis for me. It felt more like a decent tactical game. So I rather switched to Pathfinder from 3.5 and have actually been running a Midnight game converted to Pathfinder for a couple of years now. But I admit that I got tired of the bloat after a while. My players are not that into D&D derivatives and the amount of rules and options was simply too much for most of them. They love the Midnight background but do not really care for the rules.

That said, I have been enjoying the 5th edition so far. For me, it is a good blend of classic D&D with newer gaming concepts. I have two low-powered campaigns going, both on the less serious side and they are both fun. But I honestly do not think that 5e is a good fit for Midnight. The way I see and play Midnight is less about D&D-style gaming (which can be and is fun) and more about hard choices and small victories. A more story- or character-driven system feels like a better fit than the (still) very combat-centric D&D.

I would love to see FFG give the great Midnight setting another go with more fitting rules. Do not get me wrong, it was good to use the OGL at the time and of course D&D 3.5/Pathfinder/whatever could and can be used to play the way I see the setting, but I think a dedicated rule set would be better. I recently got "Edge of the Empire" as a gift and that is a good example of setting and rules supporting each other to create something that could be more than the sum of its parts.

Has anyone used 5e rules to run Midnight? I had some thoughts that maybe one could do it with little fuss just by reskinning some of the class flavor. Druids would be "spiritual channelers", Sorcerers could would be easy as Dragon blooded was a heroic path in the original Midnight, and Wild Magic could just be a character being exposed to a Nexus point. Maybe paladins would be reskinned to the few Knights of Erenland roaming about. Clerics could be reserved as evil Legates only. Seems like 5e could be used well for Midnight just by re-flavoring things.

I would like to see a 5th edition conversion - however, it's more likely to use an in house rule system if it gets a new edition. That's okay; I think a conversion doc would also be developed if that happened. I am open to the idea that Midnight may be even more fun with a system like Age of Rebellion.

Edited by Galladrick