I have a terrible doubt

By Beau Darby, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I have a terrible doub about the rules of Descent: The Road To Legend.

On page 9, the rules say:

At the Gold campaign level... The heroes may upgrade all their trait dice to gold power dice.

But on page 23, the rules say another thing:

In a Copper campaign, a hero can upgrade a maximun of three of his black dice to silver dice, and may not upgrade silver dice at all . In a Silver campaign, a hero can upgrade as many of his black dice to silver dice as he wants, but only a maximun of three of his silver dice to gold dice . In a Gold campaign, a hero can upgrade as many of his black and silver dice as he wants, but only a maximun of one silver dice to a gold dice .

Sorry, but I don't understand it. All the dice are five dice , but this latter says that a hero only can upgrade four dice.

???????

They mentioned in the Faq that this is a typo, you should be able to upgrade all 5 dice to gold whilst in Gold Campaign level.

Its quite EASY .... look gui%C3%B1o.gif

Copper Level (max 5 power die /per 1 throw on attack)
BBBBB -> can upgrade max 3 dice to silver SSSBB

Silver Level (max 5 power die /per 1 throw on attack)
SSSBB -> can upgrade all black to silver SSSSS (as he want) but can upgrade max 3 dice to gold GGGSS

Gold Level (max 5 power die /per 1 throw on attack)
GGGSS -> can upgrade only one silver to Gold GGGGS

LEGEND:
B = black dice; S = silver dice; G = gold dice

last one silver dice should be upgraded "only" with spending fatigue ( Upgrading Power Dice With Fatigue During Play page 24 ) that makes temporary all trait dice "GGGGG " ("....... The heroes may upgrade all their trait dice to gold power dice " but still preserve rules from page 23")

Upgrading Power dice with fatigue during play cost

1 - add a black power die to an attack (before or after roll)
2 - add a silver power die to an attack (before or after roll)
3 - add a gold power die to an attack (before or after roll)

1 - upgrade a black die to a silver die (before roll only)
2 - upgrade a black die to a gold die (before roll only)
1 - upgrade a silver die to a gold die (before roll only)

Ignore this poor man, he knows not what he says

At all campaign levels, there is no limit on the number of power boosts you may expend in one attack besides the hard limit of 5 power dice per attack. In other words, once you have 5 gold dice, further power boosts are pointless.

Furthermore, there is a training limit per campaign level.

All campaign levels:
Heroes may not have more than 5 power dice in any combination of colors (copper, silver, gold)

Copper:
Heroes may have 5 black dice
Heroes may have 3 silver dice
Heroes may have 0 gold dice

Silver:
Heroes may have 5 silver dice
Heroes may have 3 gold dice

Gold:
Heroes may have 5 gold dice

These campaign-based limits only apply to purchasing dice through training, not upgrades from power boosts.

It's probably also good to note that it's generally best to only purchase up to 4 power dice, since it allows you to burn fatigue to get that one last point of damage needed to take out whatever critter you're facing (by using fatigue to power the fifth power die)

There are exceptions of course, Nanok being the best example, but the mechanic is sound

Thundercles only repeat all what I say...

" At all campaign levels, there is no limit on the number of power boosts you may expend in one attack besides the hard limit of 5 power dice per attack ( I never argued that is (see my: max 5 power die /per 1 throw on attack) you only just repeat it ). In other words, once you have 5 gold dice, further power boosts are pointless (of course, but in Rulebook on 23 page write it clear - upgrade 2 silver to gold on silver level campaign but on gold campaign level only 1 silver to gold = total 4 gold die on GLoC??? correct me if I count bad ).

If you are still confused with that ( Beau Darby ) I recomend you read all review which was writed for Descent: The Road to Legend (7 previews) . Especially read preview No. 5 RtL you see how Mordrod counts his maximum possible attack (if you cannot at the present time find page I can send you) :

Descent: The Road to Legend — Preview #5

Mordrog Lord-Smasher,
Champion of Terrinoth

..."Alright, let's assume that Mordrog, via spending fatigue and training in town , has managed to get up to the maximum possible five gold dice on this attack . And let's further assume that, thanks to a helpful Aim order applied via Sir Valadir's Leadership skill (hey, that guy is good for something!), Mordrog has managed to roll the absolute best possible result." ...... little addon from same page (Mordrog deals 55 damage with one swing") .

Finally Thundercles your calculalting is same as my .....

All campaign levels:
Heroes may not have more than 5 power dice in any combination of colors (copper, silver, gold)

Copper:
Heroes may have 3 silver dice
Heroes may have 0 gold dice

my notation = Copper Level (max 5 power die /per 1 throw on attack) BBBBB -> can upgrade max 3 dice to silver SSSBB (black die are irelevant because we talk about how to reach and how many Gold die on GLoC)

Silver:
Heroes may have 3 gold dice

my notation = Silver Level (max 5 power die /per 1 throw on attack) SSSBB -> can upgrade all black to silver SSSSS (as he want) but can upgrade max 3 dice to gold GGGSS (black die are irelevant because we talk about how to reach and how many Gold die on GLoC)

Gold:
Heroes may have 5 gold dice ??? result of my counting is only 4?? (how could got 5???)

my notation = Gold Level (max 5 power die /per 1 throw on attack) GGGSS -> can upgrade only one silver to Gold GGGGS !!! (black die are irelevant because we talk about how to reach and how many Gold die on GLoC)

Maybe you counts "in" spending fatigue but on end you write this: " These campaign-based limits only apply to purchasing dice through training, not upgrades from power boosts " please explain me how could you get 5 gold die on gold level of campaign without breaking rules from page 23???

My posts was based on Rulebook Descent: The Road to Legend and officialy published previews titled Descent: The Road to Legend - Preview #5, if exist any other source please present it ... because nor in FAQ ver. 1.4 havent support

I had been trying to help, so don't be sharp on me (Ignore this poor man, he knows not what he says gui%C3%B1o.gif )

OK.

Thank you very much to all of you. Now I see it clear.

Greetings