What changes have you made to Lost Knowledge

By Desslok, in Adventure: Lost Knowledge

Having finally read the last page of this adventure today and therefore the entire Beta book, I have decided that I rather like this game. Despite my earlier objections, of the three Star Wars offerings, this is the best. It was the adventure that pushed me over the edge (no pun intended) and revealed to me what is possible for a Force and Destiny-style game. I love it.

The group of players that I've got really enjoyed how different the adventure was from what most folks expect from a Star Wars adventure. Like you said, it opens the doors as to what a Force and Destiny campaign could be about.

Having finally read the last page of this adventure today and therefore the entire Beta book, I have decided that I rather like this game. Despite my earlier objections, of the three Star Wars offerings, this is the best. It was the adventure that pushed me over the edge (no pun intended) and revealed to me what is possible for a Force and Destiny-style game. I love it.

The group of players that I've got really enjoyed how different the adventure was from what most folks expect from a Star Wars adventure. Like you said, it opens the doors as to what a Force and Destiny campaign could be about.

Aww, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I've been avoiding commenting on writer intent for the adventure so as not to influence the beta process (and it's been really hard, as I love talking about my work), but I have been keeping an eye on this thread, and I just wanted to say that reading this touched my shriveled, black heart. So thank you guys very much for the kind words!

With the "exploring the temple ruins" part, there was very much an Indy-vibe to the scene that a couple of my players made note of, with one even mentioning that the Bothan Archeologist she plays in another game would have a field day exploring the site.

That's one of the other things I'm working on - punching up the Lost Ruins of Evil. I was thinking of throwing in some Grimtooth's Traps in the mix. While the series originally had a strong D&D/fantasy bent, you could easily file the serial numbers off and make them more Sith-y with just some color. Of course without the constant resurrection abilities of fantasy, you might want to stay away from the lethal insta-kill traps, go with the slow burn traps where the players can extract themselves. But on the surface, it should work.

Oh, and in the spirit of the Halloween season, I need to come up with stats for this body horror abomination:

head_crab_from_the_thing_by_crimeclown-d

Edited by Desslok

Okay, like I said, I was working on punching up the tomb and the encounters inside. In addition to what's in the book, I came up with these charming encounters:

The opening trap -

Start off with a bog standard corridor covered in tiles that set off poison darts when you step on them. The non-tile parts of the floor are safe - well, until half-way across. That's when the tiles become safe and the non-tiles turn into a thin layer of plaster over a 40 foot fall.

Faceless horror -

They're walking carefully down the corridor when something brushes up against their face, much like how you walk through a spider web - except that it's cold and clammy. Turning their full attention to it - it's a face. The Sith (or one of his disciples) peeled off a person's face, cut it into several large pieces, and then hung it from meathooks. Oh - and it’s still alive. Thousands of years old, life extended by the blackest of Sith alchemy, the eyes of the damned pleading at the characters.

Watch Your Step -

While rushing up a flight of stairs, roll perception against <><>and a red. A character who misses it (or gets a bad roll) sets foot upon a false section of stair. The step gives way, allowing their foot to pass through, becoming ensnared in the barbs below. While the foot will probably pass into the step without suffering excessive damage (a couple of strain). . . . pulling it out is another story all together.

With some time, they'd be able to extract their foot no problem. Mind you, they're being chased by head crabs at the time. . . .

Gruesome Babysitter -

A first person prospective vision - large, rough hands fastening the clamps that are holding their young little heads . . . . so tight. Putting his lips to their ear, as he whispers "Please. . . don't fight. I promise I'll let you go home, if you swear not to tell a soul!" He reaches down to the wrist clamps "Well, I'll just untie these - oh, I'm kidding! Now where is my Lightsaber?"

Fade to black.

The False Pit Trap -

The players come across a pit that's an easy jump - a mere six feet across and as wide as the corridor itself. They can walk to the edge, look down and see the bottom of the pit some 30 feet down, full of sharp spikes, making the pit something to be avoided - but who can't make a 6 foot jump?

The stinger comes in that the other side of the pit was false, a ledge built up of flimsy wood and plaster. It's strong enough for coins and rocks to land on, but weak enough to collapse under the full weight of someone landing on it. Below the false lip is a 45 degree angle slop, leading back to the pit, studded with hooks. After a brief slide, they are dumped 18 feet to the bottom of the pit. Ouch.

Man, I should not be allowed to plot games near Halloween. . . .

Edited by Desslok

I present to you my alternate opening for this adventure. Basically a case of mistaken identity.

While sitting in the Mos Eisley cantina and trying to keep a low profile, a tough looking Dug enters the establishment. He stands motionless for a moment with the exception of his head as he scans the bar. He appears to be looking for someone. His eyes lock onto one of your own in the group. Squinting briefly, he then begins to make his way walking on his hands as only a Dug could towards your table. He is alone and appears unarmed but given the reputation of his species for their brutal skill as capable brawlers, this offers little comfort.

The Dug introduces himself as Bentalbu and remarks that the inquisitor made mention that you would be in the company of associates but failed to mention that there would be so many. Taking a seat next to you, he begins to talk to you as one would giving a mission brief as coming from orders on high. He insists that you are to travel to the planet Athiss located in the Loro Babis system posing as big game hunters. While there you are to investigate and discover what you can about an ancient temple which the inquisitor is adamant exists on the planet's surface. The inquisitor has quietly made arrangements for you and your associates to stay in one of the guest units at The Far Orbit Resort and Lodge. In addition, your transportation to the planet has also been secured. You and your colleagues are to meet with a Captain Han Solo in docking bay 94 in half an hour. Do not offer up any information to anyone concerning the details of this trip. Failure in this regard will ensure the inquisitor's wrath and a shorter lifespan for each of you.

At that moment, the bona fide contacts of the inquisitor's enters the cantina. You know this due to the striking resemblance of the lead member in the group to one of your own. The Dug, having also noticed the resemblance, becomes immediately alarmed shouting something about you being Jedi, spies and imposters. He reaches for his blaster. The newly arrived group at the door reacts in kind, the lead member igniting what appears to be some sort of variation on a laser sword emitting a blood red glow, while the rest also reach for their own ranged weapons. The cantina erupts with excitement as the bartender yells, 'No blasters! No blasters!'

What do you think?

I'm planning on running Lost Knowledge in February. Currently - my EotE players are aboard a cruise liner leaving Bespin and heading, much to their chagrin, deeper into the galactic core.

While enroute to the resort world of Kaal, the cruise ship will be stopped by an Imperial Customs Corvette around Mugaar. Naturally the players will panic, since one of them has an obligation to an Imperial admiral, another is a rebel demolitions expert. I fully expect they will somehow make a terrific mess of the situation and flee, perhaps aboard a lambda shuttle. I'm not sure if the corvette can fit such a ship.

The point being - my exile jedi character (who has the obligation to the imperial admiral. Read: blackmail for missions) wants to build her lightsaber. The force sensitive smuggler player also wants to explore the Force. They are nooooowhere near the Sith subsector, but the timing is right story-wise, so I will lift Lost Knowledge from Athiss and place it on Jircoh, where there have long been rumors of an ancient Jedi temple.

Perhaps Callia, the Jedi exile will sense the temple from the nearby system and be drawn to it.

The other change I will make is to the dark side spirit - I'm going to keep all that, but I'd like to include a recurring dark side nemesis, so I will have the spirit be largely manifested in a Sith death mask. A Jedi knight who survived Order 66 will have stumbled upon the ruins and found the mask. Seduced by curiosity, she will wear it, and be partially possessed by the ancient spirit of a dark force user.

That way they can defeat the spirit, the corrupted Jedi will escape to haunt them another day, and they can get their little glow stick trinkets.

Thoughts?

My players have done their first adventure on Tatooine, and one is a force-exile. One of my players is switching to her other character (from another group), who is a BH, so I'm hoping that she can somehow bring them to Athiss on a mission, and the Force-Exile will sense the temple and its crystals. He has force Sense after all.

Throwing in some chances to fight for the BH, and charm for their charmer droid, they'll end up in the temple where they'll encounter a small child, who'll be floating rocks around and smashing them together. They'll find out that he's an apprentice of a dark force user, and he was left here for some time (to achieve some sort of goal, but he probably won't know what). He can accompany them or not, but they should then face dark trials, eventually fighting or resisting a sith spirit. The boy will be involved to make some interesting things happen with their rolls.

In the end they should get a couple crystals, so the jedi can choose which one he wants and he can start his pursuit of building a lightsaber! The others can sell the other one to get their own gear (a mission in its own right). This leaves them with choices to look for more lightsaber parts/jedi knowledge, and trying to sell off this crystal too.