FFG Developer Answered Questions

By kaosoe, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I asked about “Jury Rigged” auto-fire, and whether that reduces the cost of auto-fire for all activations, or just the first activation.

I got the answer back from Sam Stewart:

If you use Jury Rigged to reduce the cost of activating the Auto-Fire quality, it applies to all activations of the Auto-Fire quality.

Hope this helps!

Sam Stewart

RPG Manager

Fantasy Flight Games

Personally, I think I’ll stick with having Jury Rigged just reduce the cost of the first activation, but now that’s a House Rule and not RAI.

Clarification on Talents:

Surgeon,

Rapid Recovery,

Fine Tuning,

Solid Repairs,

Physician

The roll Must First SUCCEED before the effects of the Talent can be applied.

A Failed Roll means the Talent DOES NOT trigger.

Added the following questions:

Master Merchant

Question asked by Desslok :

The Master Merchant talent for Entrepreneur says "when buying or selling goods, take 2 strain to buy for 25% more or 25% less" - does that apply to all transactions?

Of course it'll apply to the crate of blasters that our merchant will be selling on the secondary market, but what about one off items like "Oh, I just dropped my blaster off a cliff and I need a new one". Or big ticket items like ships? It seems to run counter to the theme of the character to buy things at a discount for personal use versus several crates that he's going to flip at the next port of call.

TL;DNR version: does Master Merchant apply to everything the Entrepreneur buys or just wholesale items only?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

It applies to everything he buys or sells, so long as the GM agrees (some situations may not allow for discounts no matter how skilled the merchant is).

Combining Improved Parry and Improved Reflect with Circle of Shelter

Question asked by BarbeChenue :

Can you use Improved Parry or Improved Reflect with Circle of Shelter? Could you, for example, use the Threats/Despairs generated on a Hit against your ally to riposte back with a reflected blaster bolt or lightsaber hit, for instance?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

Yes you can use Improved Parry or Reflect with Circle of Shelter.

Surgeon, Rapid Recovery, Fine Tuning, Solid Repairs, and Physician

Question asked by RebelDave (Paraphrased) :

Must the roll succeed in order to gain the benefits of Surgeon, Rapid Recovery, Fine Tuning, Solid Repairs, or Physician?

Answered by Sam Stewart (Paraphrased):

The roll Must First SUCCEED before the effects of the Talent can be applied.

A Failed Roll means the Talent DOES NOT trigger.

Question asked by BradKnowles (Paraprhased) :

When using “Jury Rigged” to reduce the activation of auto-fire, does that reduces the cost of auto-fire for all activations, or just the first activation?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

If you use Jury Rigged to reduce the cost of activating the Auto-Fire quality, it applies to all activations of the Auto-Fire quality.

Edited by kaosoe

As a side note, while at GamerNation Con, I made a point to personally thank Sam for answering all of our questions. He's a pretty nice guy.

Minor error here:

Combining Improved Parry and Improved Reflect with Circle of Shelter
Question asked by BarabeChenue :
Can you use Improved Parry or Improved Reflect with Circle of Shelter? Could you, for example, use the Threats/Despairs generated on a Hit against your ally to riposte back with a reflected blaster bolt or lightsaber hit, for instance?

Answered by Sam Stewart:
It applies to everything he buys or sells, so long as the GM agrees (some situations may not allow for discounts no matter how skilled the merchant is).

Looks like this is the same answer as was given for the first question, but accidentally cut-n-pasted a second time for this question as well.

Oops! :ph34r:

Good catch. It's been fixed. I also fixed a misspell in BarbeChenue's name.

I'm a slave to Copy/Paste. It's a boon and a bane.

Edited by kaosoe

Hi, Just a quick question regarding system strain, do starship minions still have system strain? If the answer is no, how can they ever do two starship Maneuvers? And an additional question, can you exchange a starship action for a starship maneuver?

Answered by Mr Stewart -

Starships would be piloted by minions, but they would not be minions themselves. So starships have system strain, even when piloted by minions. However, generally a starship piloted by a minion cannot perform two starship maneuvers unless the minion downgrades their action into a maneuver. If he does so, the second maneuver can also be a starship maneuver.

Remember, the starship itself isn’t an NPC, it’s just a complex tool. It’s the pilot inside that follows the rules for NPCs.

I asked:

Combo question regarding Burly & Hidden Storage talents!

1. Burly reduces the Encumbrance rating of any carried weapon (in addition to lowering the Cumbersome quality). Does this mean the weapon is now easier to hide on your person? For example, a Burly 2 character could potentially hide an Encumbrance 3 item on his person easily, treating it as an Encumbrance 1 item?

2. Hidden Storage—if the PC taking a talent is a droid, can such a PC make it so that he has Hidden Storage in his own chassis?

3. If yes to both questions up above, would Burly combine with Hidden Storage in such a way that (for example) a droid PC with Burly 3 and Hidden Storage 1 could hide a blaster rifle (Encumbrance 4) in the smuggling compartment in his own chassis? I can see how this would make narrative sense (big burly droid has lots of spare room to work with), but I wanted to get a sense of how the two talents are intended to work. Thanks in advance!

Answer from Sam Stewart:

The Burley talent is intended to specifically represent a character with some extra muscle and bulk who can more easily carry large weapons into battle; it doesn’t shrink the size of the weapon. While the scenario you describe does not violate the letter of the rules, it does go against their spirit, and a GM could reasonably disallow this.

I will follow up on Q #2, asking it as a new rules question.

Question about Maneuvers;

Does a character receive more than two maneuvers during his turn with the Explorer Signature Ability Tree: Unmatched Mobility? if so how many does the character receive with the unmatched mobility tree?

Answer:

It states in the Edge of the Empire Core Rules (Page 200, Maneuver Limitations); "Regardless of the source, a single character may not perform more than two maneuvers during his turn. "

I am looking for clarification

The signature ability allows more than two manoeuvres per round, that's the whole point.

Folks,

As a reminder, most of the developers don’t actually read these forums, and those who do are not able to provide official answers to questions.

If you want to ask a question of the developers and get an official answer back, you need to go to the page at < http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp> and send your question in that way.

If you do ask a question of the developers via that link, then the other members of this forum would probably appreciate your coming back here to this thread and posting here with information about the question you asked and a direct quote regarding the answer you got back.

Thanks!

I submitted a question that was answered:

Does soak stack if you wear 2 different armors at the same time? Like a Catch Vest and a Nomad Greatcoat.

Answered by Sam Stewart:

Nope, you only get the mechanical benefit of one. However, if you really like the effect of the vest and the looks of a greatcoat, you can certainly get the thematic benefits of wearing a greatcoat over your vest, which presumably involves all of your PC’s friends saying how cool your PC looks.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Darth Poopdeck

Question by Colgrevance:

1. When using advantage as a tiebreaker in initiative checks, do I have to "spend" it, meaning I cannot use it for other effects (e.g., recovering strain)?

2. If the answer to the above question is "yes", is this spending of advantage mandatory or could I let someone else gain the initiative (assuming I only win on the tiebreaker) to spend my advantage for other effects?

3. If the answer to question no.1 is "yes", there are bound to be timing conflicts - how are those resolved? E.g., assuming I keep my advantage to win ties, and the GM then announces that he uses his advantage for other effects, can I then revoke my decision and use advantage differently?

4. Why does tiebreaking (and using advantage, if the answer to question no.1 is "yes") work differently in initiative and other competetive checks? This means you have to remember two different tiebreaking mechanisms - wouldn't one solution work for both cases? I'd greatly appreciate any answers/insights you could give in this matter!

Answer by Sam Stewart:

The best way to think of initiative is as a unique check that is just being used to determine turn order. So Advantage in the check is automatically used to determine tie-breakers when it comes to order, and cannot be used for anything else.

The only result that doesn’t have a pre-determined role in an initiative check is the Triumph result (although it still also counts as a success as per normal rules, so it does add to your success total). It is the GM’s prerogative to decide whether he or she would prefer the Triumph result not count for anything in an initiative check (which is consistent with the Rules as Written), or whether they’d rather let the players do something special with any Triumph results. In my own game, I have let players (and NPCs) take a single maneuver before combat begins if they get a Triumph, representing their incredibly highly honed reflexes. It’s enough to get a weapon out, aim, or take cover before the shooting starts.

Edited by Colgrevance

Rules Question:
On page 220 of the Edge of the Empire Core Rule Book it lists a rule about strain recovery. The text reads "At the end of an encounter, each player can make a Simple (-) Discipline or Cool check. Each Success recovers one strain. There is some debate if this means the advantages / triumphs mean nothing in this check (like an initiative check). Is this true?

--

That is correct; only successes matter for this check (although the GM is welcome to come up with other benefits for large numbers of Advantage or Triumph).

Hope this helps!

Sam Stewart

RPG Manager

Fantasy Flight Games

Sam,

I have a couple of questions for you.

1. Item/Body Part Targeting.

Aiming to target a specific item carried, or a specific part of the target. I understand how it is written. The question concerns whether or not you can target a specific item, or a specific part of the target without taking a maneuver (or two to aim). Is it outright impossible to target a specific item, or a specific part of the target unless you have at least the one maneuver to spend or is the base difficulty without using a maneuver for targeting 3 or 4 setback dice, or 1 or 2 upgrades instead of setback dice? What are your thoughts?

Thus far we have been allowing the successful targeting of a specific body part to allow a roll on the critical hit table of 40 or less (reroll if higher) that is not an actual critical hit. We did this based on the option to allow the spending of 3 advantages in a similar manner. Is that close to what you intended?

2. Mods.

The wording concerning mods changed slightly from EotE to AoR. In EotE page 187, Section Installing Mods, paragraph 3, it says ... cost an additional 100 credits beyond the base cost. In AoR, page 199, same Section, Same paragraph, it simply states ... cost an additional 100 credits. I am of the belief that if you install, say an augmented spin barrel, and successfully activate all 4 mods that the total cost would be 2,150 credits, the attachment cost of 1,750 plus 400 for the 4 mods (4 x 100). The odd wording in EotE has raised the question as to whether the cost scales with each additional mod. Some interpret it that the cost for that attachment with all 4 mods would be 2,750, the attachment cost of 1,750 plus 1,000 for the 4 mods (1st mod 100, 2nd mod 200, 3rd mod 300, 4th mod 400). Which interpretation is accurate?

3. Negotiation Skill and talents that affect it.

First Application under the skill:

-Any time a character wishes to purchase goods or services, he must either pay the sellers asking price or utilize the negotiation skill.

Based on our interpretation of how the Negotiation skill is written, when buying, once an item is located based on its rarity, an opposed Negotiation check is rolled.

0 Success’s indicates you pay cost. Each success means a 5% discount on the cost. Each failure means a 5% increase on the cost.

When selling, an opposed Negotiation check is rolled. 0 Success’s indicates you don’t find a buyer, 1 success gets the character one quarter the base price of the item, increasing to one-half with 2 successes, and three-quarters with 3 or successes or more.

Wheel and Deal: When he sells legal goods to a reputable merchant or business, the character gains an additional 10% more credits per rank of Wheel and Deal (based on the original sell price of the good or item).

Master Merchant: Before making a check when buying or selling items, or undertaking or paying off Obligation, the character may choose to suffer two strain. If the check succeeds, he sells the item for 25% more than the base cost, buys it for 25% less, pays off one additional Obligation point, or undertakes one less Obligation point.

Say you are attempting to sell an item that has a base cost in the book of 1000 Credits (Armored Clothing).

With no talents 1 success gets 250 credits, 2 successes gets 500 credits, 3 or successes or more gets 750 credits.

If I am interpreting Wheel and Deal correctly, since it is based on the original sell price of the item, you would get an extra 100 credits for a suit of Armored Clothing per rank of Wheel and Deal you possess.

Master Merchant also refers to the base cost of the item. So, when you throw Master Merchant into the mix, you can suffer two strain before making the check to get an additional 25% of the base cost. In this case, 250 credits.

If I have a character that has Master Merchant and 2 ranks of Wheel and Deal, and I spend the two strain to utilize Master Merchant, and roll 3 successes on my check that I would find someone desperate enough to buy a suit of Armored Clothing that they pay 1200 credits (750 for 3 successes + 250 for Master Merchant +200 for 2 ranks of Wheel and Deal) for it?

With the Master Merchant Talent, if I am looking to buy a suit of Armored Clothing and spend the two strain before making the check, is it going to cost me 750 credits +/- 50 credits per success/failure?

Are each of these interpretations correct?

Or is it supposed to be percentages of the Negotiated Price instead of the Base Price?

Let me know,

Thanks,

Damon A Simms

Hello Mr. Simms,

1. It isn’t possible to target a specific body part or item without spending at least one maneuver to aim. As for the effects of targeting specific body parts, these are generally narrative in nature, and thus we leave them up to the players and GMs to decide. If you want to put a specific mechanical effect on it you’re more than welcome to, but the intention is to allow for “shooting the bad guy in the kneecaps,” where the damage probably still incapacitates a target, but the player can narrate that it wouldn’t kill them.
2. Every mod you install costs 100 credits to do so. I agree that it could be worded slightly clearer, and apologize for the confusion.
3. Master Merchant and Wheel and Deal both work off the base price, so you calculate all the modifiers based on that, then add or subtract all the modifiers together (so your interpretation is correct). That’s why it’s called Master Merchant, after all!
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
Edited by Dakkar98

Huh, interesting about the cost of mods...

About Misdirect (Thanks Sam :) ):

Me: I was discusing there days a scene from Rebels with a friend. On that scene Kanan and Ezra seems to "influence" by the the Force a pair of droids.

Influence only works on living beings but, Misdirect seems to be able to project illusions.
Those illusions can be perceived by electronic devices like cameras or droids?

Sam: Misdirect, as written, can work on droids. However, if a GM wants to, he can certainly rule that it suffers from the same limitations as Influence. As for what Kanan and Ezra do in Rebels; the Force doesn't always follow hard-and-fast rules. Sometimes, it behaves in ways we would least expect it to!

Added the following questions to the list:

Vehicular combat, actions, and starships

Minion pilots, ships, and system strain.

Question asked by Lupex :

Do starship minions still have system strain? If the answer is no, how can they ever do two starship Maneuvers? And an additional question, can you exchange a starship action for a starship maneuver?

Answered by Sam Stewart:
Starships would be piloted by minions, but they would not be minions themselves. So starships have system strain, even when piloted by minions. However, generally a starship piloted by a minion cannot perform two starship maneuvers unless the minion downgrades their action into a maneuver. If he does so, the second maneuver can also be a starship maneuver.

Remember, the starship itself isn’t an NPC, it’s just a complex tool. It’s the pilot inside that follows the rules for NPCs.

Gear, Equipment, and Qualities

Burly and Hidden Storage

Question asked by Awayputurwpn :
1. Burly reduces the Encumbrance rating of any carried weapon (in addition to lowering the Cumbersome quality). Does this mean the weapon is now easier to hide on your person? For example, a Burly 2 character could potentially hide an Encumbrance 3 item on his person easily, treating it as an Encumbrance 1 item?
2. Hidden Storage—if the PC taking a talent is a droid, can such a PC make it so that he has Hidden Storage in his own chassis?
3. If yes to both questions up above, would Burly combine with Hidden Storage in such a way that (for example) a droid PC with Burly 3 and Hidden Storage 1 could hide a blaster rifle (Encumbrance 4) in the smuggling compartment in his own chassis? I can see how this would make narrative sense (big burly droid has lots of spare room to work with), but I wanted to get a sense of how the two talents are intended to work. Thanks in advance!

Answered by Sam Stewart:
The Burley talent is intended to specifically represent a character with some extra muscle and bulk who can more easily carry large weapons into battle; it doesn’t shrink the size of the weapon. While the scenario you describe does not violate the letter of the rules, it does go against their spirit, and a GM could reasonably disallow this.

Stacking Armor

Question asked by Darth Poopdeck :

Does soak stack if you wear 2 different armors at the same time? Like a Catch Vest and a Nomad Greatcoat.

Answered by Sam Stewart:

Nope, you only get the mechanical benefit of one. However, if you really like the effect of the vest and the looks of a greatcoat, you can certainly get the thematic benefits of wearing a greatcoat over your vest, which presumably involves all of your PC’s friends saying how cool your PC looks.

Cost of Mods

Question asked by Dakkar98 :

The wording concerning mods changed slightly from EotE to AoR. In EotE page 187, Section Installing Mods, paragraph 3, it says ... cost an additional 100 credits beyond the base cost. In AoR, page 199, same Section, Same paragraph, it simply states ... cost an additional 100 credits. I am of the belief that if you install, say an augmented spin barrel, and successfully activate all 4 mods that the total cost would be 2,150 credits, the attachment cost of 1,750 plus 400 for the 4 mods (4 x 100). The odd wording in EotE has raised the question as to whether the cost scales with each additional mod. Some interpret it that the cost for that attachment with all 4 mods would be 2,750, the attachment cost of 1,750 plus 1,000 for the 4 mods (1st mod 100, 2nd mod 200, 3rd mod 300, 4th mod 400). Which interpretation is accurate?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

Every mod you install costs 100 credits to do so. I agree that it could be worded slightly clearer, and apologize for the confusion.

General Combat Question

Advantages and Triumph in Initiative

Question Asked by Colgrevance :

1. When using advantage as a tiebreaker in initiative checks, do I have to "spend" it, meaning I cannot use it for other effects (e.g., recovering strain)?

2. If the answer to the above question is "yes", is this spending of advantage mandatory or could I let someone else gain the initiative (assuming I only win on the tiebreaker) to spend my advantage for other effects?

3. If the answer to question no.1 is "yes", there are bound to be timing conflicts - how are those resolved? E.g., assuming I keep my advantage to win ties, and the GM then announces that he uses his advantage for other effects, can I then revoke my decision and use advantage differently?

4. Why does tiebreaking (and using advantage, if the answer to question no.1 is "yes") work differently in initiative and other competitive checks? This means you have to remember two different tiebreaking mechanisms - wouldn't one solution work for both cases? I'd greatly appreciate any answers/insights you could give in this matter!

Answered by Sam Stewart:

The best way to think of initiative is as a unique check that is just being used to determine turn order. So Advantage in the check is automatically used to determine tie-breakers when it comes to order, and cannot be used for anything else.

The only result that doesn’t have a pre-determined role in an initiative check is the Triumph result (although it still also counts as a success as per normal rules, so it does add to your success total). It is the GM’s prerogative to decide whether he or she would prefer the Triumph result not count for anything in an initiative check (which is consistent with the Rules as Written), or whether they’d rather let the players do something special with any Triumph results. In my own game, I have let players (and NPCs) take a single maneuver before combat begins if they get a Triumph, representing their incredibly highly honed reflexes. It’s enough to get a weapon out, aim, or take cover before the shooting starts.

Cool or Discipline to recover strain

Question asked by GM Knowledge Rhino :

On page 220 of the Edge of the Empire Core Rule Book it lists a rule about strain recovery. The text reads "At the end of an encounter, each player can make a Simple (-) Discipline or Cool check. Each Success recovers one strain. There is some debate if this means the advantages / triumphs mean nothing in this check (like an initiative check). Is this true?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

That is correct; only successes matter for this check (although the GM is welcome to come up with other benefits for large numbers of Advantage or Triumph).

Negotiation Skill and talents that affect it

First Application under the skill:

-Any time a character wishes to purchase goods or services, he must either pay the sellers asking price or utilize the negotiation skill.

Based on our interpretation of how the Negotiation skill is written, when buying, once an item is located based on its rarity, an opposed Negotiation check is rolled.

0 Success’s indicates you pay cost. Each success means a 5% discount on the cost. Each failure means a 5% increase on the cost.

When selling, an opposed Negotiation check is rolled. 0 Success’s indicates you don’t find a buyer, 1 success gets the character one quarter the base price of the item, increasing to one-half with 2 successes, and three-quarters with 3 or successes or more.

Wheel and Deal: When he sells legal goods to a reputable merchant or business, the character gains an additional 10% more credits per rank of Wheel and Deal (based on the original sell price of the good or item).

Master Merchant: Before making a check when buying or selling items, or undertaking or paying off Obligation, the character may choose to suffer two strain. If the check succeeds, he sells the item for 25% more than the base cost, buys it for 25% less, pays off one additional Obligation point, or undertakes one less Obligation point.

Say you are attempting to sell an item that has a base cost in the book of 1000 Credits (Armored Clothing).

With no talents 1 success gets 250 credits, 2 successes gets 500 credits, 3 or successes or more gets 750 credits.

If I am interpreting Wheel and Deal correctly, since it is based on the original sell price of the item, you would get an extra 100 credits for a suit of Armored Clothing per rank of Wheel and Deal you possess.

Master Merchant also refers to the base cost of the item. So, when you throw Master Merchant into the mix, you can suffer two strain before making the check to get an additional 25% of the base cost. In this case, 250 credits.

If I have a character that has Master Merchant and 2 ranks of Wheel and Deal, and I spend the two strain to utilize Master Merchant, and roll 3 successes on my check that I would find someone desperate enough to buy a suit of Armored Clothing that they pay 1200 credits (750 for 3 successes + 250 for Master Merchant +200 for 2 ranks of Wheel and Deal) for it?

With the Master Merchant Talent, if I am looking to buy a suit of Armored Clothing and spend the two strain before making the check, is it going to cost me 750 credits +/- 50 credits per success/failure?

Are each of these interpretations correct? Or is it supposed to be percentages of the Negotiated Price instead of the Base Price?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

Master Merchant and Wheel and Deal both work off the base price, so you calculate all the modifiers based on that, then add or subtract all the modifiers together (so your interpretation is correct). That’s why it’s called Master Merchant, after all!

Personal Scale combat

Aiming

Aiming to target a specific item carried, or a specific part of the target. I understand how it is written. The question concerns whether or not you can target a specific item, or a specific part of the target without taking a maneuver (or two to aim). Is it outright impossible to target a specific item, or a specific part of the target unless you have at least the one maneuver to spend or is the base difficulty without using a maneuver for targeting 3 or 4 setback dice, or 1 or 2 upgrades instead of setback dice? What are your thoughts?

Thus far we have been allowing the successful targeting of a specific body part to allow a roll on the critical hit table of 40 or less (reroll if higher) that is not an actual critical hit. We did this based on the option to allow the spending of 3 advantages in a similar manner. Is that close to what you intended?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

It isn’t possible to target a specific body part or item without spending at least one maneuver to aim. As for the effects of targeting specific body parts, these are generally narrative in nature, and thus we leave them up to the players and GMs to decide. If you want to put a specific mechanical effect on it you’re more than welcome to, but the intention is to allow for “shooting the bad guy in the kneecaps,” where the damage probably still incapacitates a target, but the player can narrate that it wouldn’t kill them.

The Force

Misdirect on Droids

Question asked by Josep Maria :

Influence only works on living beings but, Misdirect seems to be able to project illusions. Those illusions can be perceived by electronic devices like cameras or droids?

Answered by Sam Stewart:

Misdirect, as written, can work on droids. However, if a GM wants to, he can certainly rule that it suffers from the same limitations as Influence. As for what Kanan and Ezra do in Rebels; the Force doesn't always follow hard-and-fast rules. Sometimes, it behaves in ways we would least expect it to!

Edited by kaosoe

In the EotE Core book, under the skill 'Negotiation' it states that 5% discount can be applied for each success.

But I do not see anything about 5% increase for failures . It does state that 'threats' can increase the cost though, but doesn't state by how much. Where in the books does it mention 5% cost increase for failures?

In the EotE Core book, under the skill 'Negotiation' it states that 5% discount can be applied for each success.

But I do not see anything about 5% increase for failures . It does state that 'threats' can increase the cost though, but doesn't state by how much. Where in the books does it mention 5% cost increase for failures?

It doesn't, that is my representation of the sellers asking price actually being higher than the base price.

Under normal circumstances, the challenge dice and the difficulty dice represent the merchant's skill.
Failures on the check is the merchant getting a success.
Success = 5% profit.
Therefore a failure represents a 5% increase in the price as the merchant makes a profit on the transaction.
That way its not always a matter of paying the listed price or less, sometimes you might have to pay a premium to get that item that you really want.

It adds a little realism to the transactions. Failure represent the merchant realizing that this is something you really want and and puts him in a position to capitalize on the ebb and flow of supply and demand.

Threats on the check to locate the item to represent an increase to the starting price due to a low supply, but high demand.
Additional success's on the check to locate the item could represent a lower starting price due to a high supply, but low demand.

It also helps to take care of some of the excess credits the character's might have lying around.

Edited by Dakkar98

According to the book, there is no such thing as a multiple failure; if there is no success left after negation, the roll failed, "multiple net Failure symbols do not influence the magnitude of the failure."

As I understand it, you only roll Negotiation once to locate the item/buyer (success) at what price (additional successes or threats) and under what circumstances (advantages, possibly threats, triumphs, despairs): No success, no can find!

According to the book, there is no such thing as a multiple failure; if there is no success left after negation, the roll failed, "multiple net Failure symbols do not influence the magnitude of the failure."

As I understand it, you only roll Negotiation once to locate the item/buyer (success) at what price (additional successes or threats) and under what circumstances (advantages, possibly threats, triumphs, despairs): No success, no can find!

No, I believe you are mistaken.

Step 1. You roll Negotiation (or Streetwise for illegal items) vs. the difficulty based on the rarity of the item. (EotE Core Rule Book pages 149-150)

Step 2. Then once an item is located, you make an opposed check vs the Merchant's Negotiate or Cool Skill. (EotE Core Rule Book pages 113-114)

For legal items, the GM could determine the item is commonly available and you can skip Step 1, but Step 2 always takes place.

For illegal items, you must do both Step 1 and 2, but you must use Streetwise for Step 1.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dakkar98

I propose that any further discussion on the Negotiation skill (and/or trade in general) deserves its own thread ;)

This thread is not meant to be used for discussion.

The purpose of this thread is to act as a record of questions that have been sent to the FFG Developers (e.g., Sam Stewart and company), and their official responses.

There really shouldn’t be anything else in this thread.

These questions came up in another topic, so I decided to fire off a question for rules clarification. The original questions are as follows:

According to the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, page 215, "When a PC suffers wounds greater than his wound threshold, [...] [He] immediately suffers one Critical Injury." Additionally, on page 158, we are told that Advantage can be spent to trigger a Critical Injury multiple times, but each subsequent use of Advantage for this purpose results in +10 being added to the Critical Injury roll. Finally, according to an answer by Mr. Sam Stewart to another question regarding Critical Injury rolls, "Criticals are generated on a "per hit" basis. So if you've got multiple hits, you can have multiple crits, just one per hit."

My question is this: If a PC or NPC spends Advantage to trigger a Critical Injury, and the attack that generated the Advantage results in the target exceeding his Wound Threshold, does the target receive one Critical Injury at +10, or two Critical Injuries (the second at +10)?

In a related question, if a PC or NPC receives a number of wounds that cause his total number of wounds to exceed his Wound Threshold, he suffers one Critical Injury. If he receives additional wounds after exceeding his Wound Threshold, does he receive an additional Critical Injury? Is the Critical Injury only applied when the Wound Threshold is initially exceeded, or each time wounds are suffered after the Wound Threshold has been exceeded?

The response from Sam Stewart is as follows:

During Step 4 the character chooses to spend Advantage or Triumph to activate the critical injury. If he activates it multiple times for a single hit, he’ll just be adding +10 to each roll. However, during that stage, he does not resolve the critical injury. He has just declared his intent to do so, essentially.
Then, during Step 6, the character resolves damage. At this point, he also resolves the critical injuries. If the damage would cause his wounds to exceed his wound threshold, the rules indicate his target suffers a critical injury. Since you can only suffer one critical injury per hit, this just “stacks” in with the critical injury he’s already activated. So if he spent three Advantage to trigger a crit once, and he incapacitated his target, he’d be inflicting one critical injury at a +10. If he triggered the crit rating twice, it would be at a +20.
To your final question; rules as written a character would not suffer a second critical injury if the character takes more damage and is already incapacitated. However , since the character is incapacitated and cannot defend himself, the GM would be perfectly within his rights to allow the second hit to inflict an automatic critical injury, or any other nasty effects depending on the circumstances. If the character is being shot at point blank range while lying helpless on the ground, for example, the GM could simply skip the critical injuries altogether, and proceed directly to complete, unrecoverable death.
Note, if you are the GM, and it is one of your player characters who is in this situation, do not do this to your player and his character.
Hope this helps!