Alternate Art Draft Cards

By player1310912, in Android: Netrunner Draft Play

Quick question for you guys. Would alternate art cards mixed in with your draft packs make you more inclined to try drafting? Maybe if 15 or so of the card pool had a different piece of art for existing cards?

Quick question for you guys. Would alternate art cards mixed in with your draft packs make you more inclined to try drafting? Maybe if 15 or so of the card pool had a different piece of art for existing cards?

No. My problem with drafting is that I have so many hobbies it's hard to get to a tournament at all. I love the draft experiences I've had in other *CGs.

It's honestly the only thing that would get me interested outside of a 75% price cut on the product. Currently finding Netrunner players in my area has proven almost impossible. As the draft format is incredibly expensive for a game that can be played one time with no reusable cards (because 99% of people interested in drafting Netrunner have bought the datapacks) and requires at least six players willing to shell that money out there's really no way I will ever see this draft stuff played unless I make it to Gencon.

Edited by Radish

I would be vehemently opposed to alternate art cards in Draft Packs. It's a fundamental aspect of the LCG model that there is no blindly chasing rarity. No random foils, rares, chase cards, or anything of that sort.

I would be vehemently opposed to alternate art cards in Draft Packs. It's a fundamental aspect of the LCG model that there is no blindly chasing rarity. No random foils, rares, chase cards, or anything of that sort.

Yeah. There are no alternate art cards in Netrunner.

Yeah. There are no alternate art cards in Netrunner.

There doesn't exist a speculative buying distribution model for them. Yes, there are alt-art cards. Everyone knows where they are, and how many. They're not sequestered away in randomised packs.

It's not like some of the best cards require you to either buy three of the starter sets or pay heavily inflated prices for individual cards on ebay or anything. That goes against the idea of the LCG MUCH more than random alternate art cards.

Alternate art cards in draft packs don't influence the game at all so why would you care if some people buy them hoping to get something cool or pay a lot of money for them (the latter currently is a thing)? The only reason I can think of is if you fear scalpers buying up all the draft packs to get the alternate art to sell or something but I can't think the market for that is really that high to profit from buying $10 packs.

Edited by Radish

It's not like some of the best cards require you to either buy three of the starter sets or pay heavily inflated prices for individual cards on ebay or anything. That goes against the idea of the LCG MUCH more than random alternate art cards.

I don't understand the basis for that statement. You still know exactly what cards are in the box, that box is always in print. They have said that they had a choice to make for the core set: they could put 3x of every card in the box, or they could put in a greater variety of playable decks to provide a better starting point. As a play experience, they made exactly the right call.

And it's still a vast improvement over their debut LCG, Game of Thrones. The core set for that game contains four decks for four factions (two factions are not even represented) and those decks are A) all comprised of 1x cards except for a few econ cards B) smaller than legal size and C) cripplingly imbalanced, particularly with fewer than four players. You NEED two core sets just to make functional decks.

In addition, they didn't shake the CCG mud off their shoes quite well enough for the first couple of years of the LCG: the first four Chapter Pack cycles had 40 cards: 20 at 3x, and 10 at 1x. That created severe imbalances because some packs turned into pegwarmers if their "rares" were mediocre while others were in high demand because you needed 3x of some of those singleton cards.

They've since corrected the situation and all AGOT packs are in print at full 3x20 format, but the Core Set still stinks on ice--a lot of binder fodder, not terribly playable, etc.

Compared to that, Netrunner's core set is amazingly playable and is an outstanding value.

I stand by my earlier statement: the core concept of LCGs is that there effectively is no rarity, no incentive to walk into a game store and spend any more than anybody else. Two or three Core sets doesn't break that, but hidden rare chase cards would.

I stand by my earlier statement: the core concept of LCGs is that there effectively is no rarity, no incentive to walk into a game store and spend any more than anybody else. Two or three Core sets doesn't break that, but hidden rare chase cards would.

But no one is talking about hidden rare chase cards. The proposal is about alternate art cards, all of which would end up being more common than the existing alternate art chase cards, Private Security Force, Eli 1.0, the plastic Identities, and the Acrylic Identieis, the last of which, IIRC, precisely 4 of each are in existence.

But no one is talking about hidden rare chase cards. The proposal is about alternate art cards, all of which would end up being more common than the existing alternate art chase cards, Private Security Force, Eli 1.0, the plastic Identities, and the Acrylic Identieis, the last of which, IIRC, precisely 4 of each are in existence.

Just by putting alt-art cards in it CREATES a rares chase. Yes, they will be more common than the existing alt-arts; but also there'll be an easy method to obtain them (provided you don't mind speculative buying/trading).

Just by putting alt-art cards in it CREATES a rares chase. Yes, they will be more common than the existing alt-arts; but also there'll be an easy method to obtain them (provided you don't mind speculative buying/trading).

A better metaphor would be foils, not rares. Foils create a chase for people who want them and are worthless to those who don't.

Alt-art cards of any stripe be they foils, full-bleed, or what-have-you, are what I'm referring to. I am not in favor of the draft cards differing in any "desirable" way from basic cards.

I would love to see alt art in the draft packs. I have participated in one draft, it was fun, but other than being able to play with grail ice early, it was a day of playing randomized netrunner that I paid $20 for the privilege.

I have a couple of those cards in decks right now because I like having multiple decks built at a time, but if there were alt art, I would be all over them.