searching with heroes

By ClanNatioy2, in Battlelore

When a hero searches at a location with multiple treasure tokens does the player get to look at the back side of the token and then chose or does the player pick a token before he knows what he is getting?

The rules say: "To search a hex, the player of the searching Hero selects one token from the hex and reveals its value. After the search, any remaining Chest tokens are returned to the box." So, not only do you not look before choosing, shouldn't look after choosing either ;)

toddrew said:

The rules say: "To search a hex, the player of the searching Hero selects one token from the hex and reveals its value. After the search, any remaining Chest tokens are returned to the box." So, not only do you not look before choosing, shouldn't look after choosing either ;)

What I don't understand is what is the purpose of putting multiple tokens on a location if they randomized before they were placed there and then you have to pick one at random. Why not just put down one token on each location?

Biting my tongue...

And successful. I'll go with "I'm not sure" instead of what first came to mind.

To spice up the game, my BL partner and I have been designing many quests. Because the game is slowly getting out of print, we snatched all the extensions, so we have a good many units.

We spice up the map by adding Creatures, Dragons and random living dead. This helps the Heroes to obtain precious XP.

Usually, under a creature you will find 1 Gold and 1 Chest. The Creature also gives 1 xp if killed by a hero.

We also put Artefacts and Potions on the map. It makes for exciting battles around coveted hex.

In regard to this topic, we simply determined that a hero can 'search' an hex and do one of the following, in this order:

1- pick 1 Gold

2- open a Chest, take one Artefact, take one potion.

The logic is that, like Ali-Baba's cave, you have to go through heaps of gold before finding the treasure... Which can be a trap, or more gold and goodies!

We did put 2 chests in one hex once, but it does not add much.

A hero (with a without troops) can also move with a chest, but to open it he has to be able to battle - it 'consumes' his battle phase so to speak.

We even allow a regular unit (troop without a hero) to carry a Chest, but only the Hero can open a Chest. It leads to very interesting pitched battles where we fight over a chest.