Daemon Weapon Reward

By Copper8642, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

When you get a Daemon Weapon from a Reward of the Dark Gods roll, how exactly do you generate it? The rules they tell you to go to seem to point towards what to do when you want to make it, not when it's granted...

I just went threw getting my Khorne Daemon Weapon Gift myself so I can say what our GM and I did. We skipped over the Rituals & Summoning stuff as you are being given the weapon directly by the Dark God you worship. The first thing we focused on was what weapon I (The player) wanted then went to the roll charts to and followed the rules of how to determine the attributes of the weapon. Before rolling WE (GM & I) agreed on how many attributes the weapon would get. Then we found out what attributes where granted and wrote those down. Also do not forget to add in the WP of the daemon to the Damage & Pen of the weapon as well.

IIRC the description of the reward states that you get a daemon weapon possessed of a lesser daemon. So khorn grants one with a bloodletter, nurgle gives a plague bearer, slaanesh gives a daemonette, and tzeentch gives a horror.

[EDIT] The only issue is bind strength. Which as a GM I would set as low as possible for two reasons. First if makes your weapon powerful, giving it the maximum number of available powers, and two, should your concentration lapse, its easier for the daemon to possess you. I would also limit the weapon to best quality primary weapons, or best quality las/bolt/flame weapons. This is to limit some of the silliness that can be created from giving a psyker a daemon force weapon of tzeentch.

theshadowduke said:

IIRC the description of the reward states that you get a daemon weapon possessed of a lesser daemon. So khorn grants one with a bloodletter, nurgle gives a plague bearer, slaanesh gives a daemonette, and tzeentch gives a horror.

That's not the issue. The issue is that it references a creation section where you roll repeatedly (and not just for what kinda attributes, but also for binding strength etc etc) it never tells you what to roll here, since you're not summoing and binding it like usual. Is a Khornate Berserker who scores a Daemon weapon forced to make a -30 Daemonology test with a a modifier for knowing the Daemon's true name? And since DoS matter, one can't just handwave these tests away as "passed" either.

EDIT: and you just edited that in! :D And while I can agree with the argument, there is of course the problem that an Aligned gift should be a rather big net gain. The big possession risk of low binding strength might be a strong penalty for certain characters. If their willpower is especially low, it could be a very dangerous downside.

Must not have caught my edit mort. I realized after I posted what the issue is, and gave my suggestion. Though I come from 1st ed D&D where GM's were supposed to screw with players, so take that for what you will.

[EDIT] In response to your edit, I would hand wave the first mastery test as well. It's assumed that the god gave you a weapon, so it should be cowed into obedience before hand.

This is the stats for the Daemon Weapon that we came up with for Khremzzeek. The traits that are italisized are from the Daemon Weapon qualities.

Daemon Weapon [bLOOD SEEKER] (CHAIN GREATSWORD)
2 Handed, 2D10+5, Rending, Pen 8
Wounding (3), Fueled by Slaughter, Bloodlust , Tearing, Unbalanced
Quality (Good +05WS)

Whats the bind strength? Also, I would have used the stats for the eviscerator out of the inquisitors handbook.

theshadowduke said:

Whats the bind strength? Also, I would have used the stats for the eviscerator out of the inquisitors handbook.

I never have to roll for that sense the weapon was a "Gift of the God's" and effectively bound to me. Khorne has already broken the Bloodletter to my will in that regard. As for the Eviserator verses the Chain Greatsword. I wanted as many D10's as I could get for rolling Zealous Hatred.

Eviscerator 1D10 < Chain Greatsword 2D10

Hpred said:

theshadowduke said:

I never have to roll for that sense the weapon was a "Gift of the God's" and effectively bound to me. Khorne has already broken the Bloodletter to my will in that regard. As for the Eviserator verses the Chain Greatsword. I wanted as many D10's as I could get for rolling Zealous Hatred.

Given that Binding Strength contributes towards determining number of powers, and that Daemonic Mastery Tests are required every time the wielder gets Stunned or rendered unconscious, not just when picking up the weapon, Binding Strength is a required element of a daemon weapon, regardless of the source.

When it came up in my campaign, I just rolled 1d3-1 for Binding Strength. Not the cleanest answer, but it does the trick.

Hpred said:

theshadowduke said:

I'll take d10+10 against 2d10 every day, thank you very much. ZH isn't that cool to lose out on 4.5 points of average damage.

That said, I tend to treat the Chain Greatsword as an errata to Eviscerator, exactly because it does much less damage. My inner GM beats my inner munchkin in this regard.

The main reason I suggested the eviscerator is to provide a drawback. If you bone your roll, you attack yourself with it.

theshadowduke said:

The main reason I suggested the eviscerator is to provide a drawback. If you bone your roll, you attack yourself with it.

Well the drawback for my character already is that he is a glass jaw assaulter. I only have 16HP sense I rolled a 1 for my HP roll. So if my enemy does not drop from my attack then I am pretty vulnerable on the retaliation unless they miss or I parry.

I once had a Rogue Trader with a mere 6 wounds and toughness bonus of 3 :P His best-crafstmanship carapace armour and plasma pistol saved him on numerous occasions...

Now if it had been a Daemonic-plasma pistol that would have rocked.