Charge action

By bgsx9t, in Balance Issues

Charge action,

Was playing a game over the weekend where one of the players was playing a Kakita duellist who was facing a Hida defender in a skirmish, being sensible he realised that he didn’t want to go head to head with someone in heavy armour while having a low resistance and almost no armour himself, so he decided to shoot him with an arrow from range, he was in air stance and used striking as air to raise his defence and was TN 4 for the next attack, however the Hida decided to just charge him as he was at range 4, he was successful and had enough successes to reach the Kakita, and he was lucky and had 2 opportunity which when charging allowed him to strike the Kakita with his basic damage which was 9 as he was using a ostuchi.

This seems off, although charging is a rare action it does seem a little off that it can just negate any defences that people have put up to make themselves harder to hit.

I was thinking that rewording so that it requires a number of opportunity to be used equal to whatever the TN would be for a normal attack, which would help balance issues. This is something I will be house ruling, at least til it hopefully changes

Has anyone else had issues with this?

That was my experience with it. At character creation you're only going to hit the combo a third of the time but you can spend a void or gain some minimal exp and be hitting with this technique more than you miss. Given that you can hit someone who started at range 4 with no bonus successes, by the time you're a skilled combatant anyone within sight range is fair game.

I'm okay with it. In a sense that i saying that i'm okay with range bands being actually useless in this game. (range is a non factor most of times in most of the systems anyway, i count the ones that do it right, not the opposite).

The Kakita mistake was thinking he was safe striking from far away. He would be more defensive striking in close range.

My problem with it is if the charger move back and take a charge action forward so he can do base damage to the opponent. That should only work when you move to close in to your opponent that you otherwise shouldnt reach and people should be aware that cost movement and action. You cant move back and charge forward.

That abuse shouldnt be allowed.

23 hours ago, bgsx9t said:

Charge action,

Was playing a game over the weekend where one of the players was playing a Kakita duellist who was facing a Hida defender in a skirmish, being sensible he realised that he didn’t want to go head to head with someone in heavy armour while having a low resistance and almost no armour himself, so he decided to shoot him with an arrow from range, he was in air stance and used striking as air to raise his defence and was TN 4 for the next attack, however the Hida decided to just charge him as he was at range 4, he was successful and had enough successes to reach the Kakita, and he was lucky and had 2 opportunity which when charging allowed him to strike the Kakita with his basic damage which was 9 as he was using a ostuchi.

This seems off, although charging is a rare action it does seem a little off that it can just negate any defences that people have put up to make themselves harder to hit.

I was thinking that rewording so that it requires a number of opportunity to be used equal to whatever the TN would be for a normal attack, which would help balance issues. This is something I will be house ruling, at least til it hopefully changes

Has anyone else had issues with this?

To be honest, the key trick would be making Charge both an Attack and Movement action, specifying a target.

This is not without precedent - Assault (in mass combat) is the same.

If this is the case, then whilst it will remain "** do damage to a target equal to your weapon's damage", you still need to succeed in the action itself (which is already in the rules), and things that would normally modify the difference of the Martial Arts check (air stance, guard action, striking as air) will now modify the Fitness check.

Essentially, I don't mind the charge action, but it shouldn't be a way to bypass needing successes against a target actively making defensive choices.

There are a couple of issues with Charge - the fact that you can choose to 'charge' a target which is currently at range 0 of you is also silly, as is the idea of charging no-one in particular. If you had to pick a target - and that target had to be a target "not in range of your readied weapon(s)", it would force you to actually...you know... charge .