Shoto

By Gigerstreak, in Game Mechanics

It's not a combined check, the Two Weapon combat rule clearly says that. One weapon is designated primary and it is the weapon that is used to complete the check. I quoted the rule, it's not vague or ambiguous at all.

Um, no?

Page 210 of EotE, bottom paragraph on the right column.

"To make the attack, he performs a combined check ."

Umm, yes, the sentence right under it clearly specifies the attack will be made with the designated primary weapon. The rest of the explanation goes into when it is different weapons/skills/attributes being used.

Umm, yes, the sentence right under it clearly specifies the attack will be made with the designated primary weapon. The rest of the explanation goes into when it is different weapons/skills/attributes being used.

Qualities aren't mentioned anywhere. What it does say is you have to determine skills/characteristics he would use when making attacks with "both weapons". The player then uses the lowest of each skill/characteristic. But they are very clearly both being used, or else you wouldn't potentially be able to use the skill or characteristic from the second one. It is called a Combined Check, so it's a combined check. Saying there's no ambiguity is silly, because it's 100% ambiguous.

I'd say to allow the Accurate quality from an off-hand Shoto to apply. After all, it's only a boost die in contrast to an increased difficulty, and with that being the off-hand weapon, that extra attack is going to do less damage than the primary. And any player can get a similar benefit simply by using the Aim maneuver prior to making their attack roll.

Well if you don't allow accurate to be used then negative stuff like a damaged weapon or 'inferior' shouldn't be applied either by the same logic. This seems weird to me. I would use both. If a damaged weapon is used in the "off-hand" = black die, if a accurate weapon is used in the "off-hand" = blue die.

In my understanding, you build the pools for the worst weapon.... off-hand or not... so if both main hand weapon and off-hand weapon don't have accurate, then you don't use it... But if one of either weapon has inferior, then it adds to the check...

So if you have a combo of main-hand / off-hand of :

a) 1-accurate / 1-inferior, you get 1 black.

b) 1-accurate / nothing, you get nothing.

c) 1-accurate / 2-accurate, you get 1 blue.

d) nothing / 1-accurate, you get nothing.

But I'm wondering how passives work... if I have a combo of main-hand / off-hand of Defensive-1 / Defensive-2, do I get Defensive-1, Defensive-2 or Defensive-3 ???

Other than confusion on how duel wielding works, I'm a fan of the Shoto now.

In my understanding, you build the pools for the worst weapon.... off-hand or not... so if both main hand weapon and off-hand weapon don't have accurate, then you don't use it... But if one of either weapon has inferior, then it adds to the check...

So if you have a combo of main-hand / off-hand of :

a) 1-accurate / 1-inferior, you get 1 black.

b) 1-accurate / nothing, you get nothing.

c) 1-accurate / 2-accurate, you get 1 blue.

d) nothing / 1-accurate, you get nothing.

But I'm wondering how passives work... if I have a combo of main-hand / off-hand of Defensive-1 / Defensive-2, do I get Defensive-1, Defensive-2 or Defensive-3 ???

Nope. You build your pool with the lower skill, lower characteristic, and highest difficulty. You determine which weapon is your primary, the primary is not the worst weapon.

As for the two defensive weapons, the quality says that you increase melee defense by the rating. So for your two weapons you'd increase your melee defense by 3.

-EF

Edited by EldritchFire